Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: wavejumping 101

+1

wavejumping 101

it is,nt always how fast you go but how high can go! like to hear from some of the members on there "strategy" for catching the "perfect wake"and"swells" i have a formula, lets hear it!
    gpr 07 1300
    r&d rideplate(ir mod 1 resurfacing)
    riva top load 1200 intake
    riva pump shoe seal
    riva ff exchaust(annoy the neighbors)
    leos holeshot (no stern holes)
    tunnel reinforcement(self made)
    skat trak 13/19 r 155 swirl
    stepped up sponsons
    lubri bond a
    COMING SOON- ir jetworks holeshot kit- riva power air filter- 87mm drop nozzle-boysen reed stuffers- riva efi control

+1
    Drill a hole in your seat release lever and zip tie it to the grab bar. Otherwise, if you come down tail first the seat will pop off and you could sink the ski. Personal experience.

To answer your specific question:

Don't hit the wave too fast;

Don't hit it when it's capping;

Stay on the throttle as you take off, or you will nose dive

I like to come up to the wave at about 1/3-1/2 throttle then going up hammer it. I dont like to just hammer it and maybe get lucky with a wave. If I see one, I slow down then hammer it as I am going up it.

+1

climbing

yes, give it throttle as you climb, i look for the right boat, not a flat bottom but one that has a sharp keel but still got the nose 'DOWN' he,s "DIGGING down' creating a huge wake at a good speed, BUT IMO , its the angle ,about 12 degrees , your almost running parallel hit the gas when it peaks push up some with your legs, that angle gives both forward motion and climbing at the same time, sometime i'll miscalulate it and hit it "flat" does nothing,

Rampage..that's my preference as well.

Another tip from my motocross days. If the wave isn't quite a big as you'd like, you can pre-load over it. The GP hull and footwell design makes this really fun and easy. Just stand on the angled portion/what I call the 'attack position' reach the valley of a wave, let-off momentarily, then burp the throttle and whalla...nice air. (You can use a little leg bounce to help at the point of take-off.)

Of course, the right prop, etc. helps since you don't want to bog off the face....you want to be tuned for a nice crisp throttle response.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    Drill a hole in your seat release lever and zip tie it to the grab bar. Otherwise, if you come down tail first the seat will pop off and you could sink the ski. Personal experience.

To answer your specific question:

Don't hit the wave too fast;

Don't hit it when it's capping;

Stay on the throttle as you take off, or you will nose dive
    Funny you say that I saw a 2007 GPR sink when he jumped a wave in Ocean City MD on the shoals. Seat came off when he came down ass first and sunk the ski to the habdle bars. Good tip

+1

sinking ski

boy ! i thought the only thing i had to worry was breaking a motormount which i heard has and can happened.!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2small View Post
    Funny you say that I saw a 2007 GPR sink when he jumped a wave in Ocean City MD on the shoals. Seat came off when he came down ass first and sunk the ski to the habdle bars. Good tip
    +1

I seen this happen in person with a friends 07 GPR. He launched and on the way down the seat popped off. With in seconds the ski was slowly sinking. Tied it to my Ultra and towed his ass back in to the beach. I would say an hr or so later we got it running again and rode it back to the marina.

Dave, this happened right off the beach of Manasquan.

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    yes, give it throttle as you climb, i look for the right boat, not a flat bottom but one that has a sharp keel but still got the nose 'DOWN' he,s "DIGGING down' creating a huge wake at a good speed, BUT IMO , its the angle ,about 12 degrees , your almost running parallel hit the gas when it peaks push up some with your legs, that angle gives both forward motion and climbing at the same time, sometime i'll miscalulate it and hit it "flat" does nothing,

Some of you might know how with standups, you can create a "Setup wake" by making a slight U-Turn and hitting the second wave.... Well Couple things i like to note on this... I've had personally some of the best jumps (Besides Ocean) on these types of waves.. I can single handedly create a 4-5 breaker on a 1/4 throttle u-turn that i can whip a 180 in the air easily on...

Nextly, i hateee to recommend this but sometimessss when boats (27ft +) tow skiers or such they always make u turns and soon as those waves combine due to the fact they are just on plane or just getting on plane their waves tend to be awesome!!.. Or you can just look for boats crusing making u turns!! haha FUNN stuff though..

I ate a nose stab off a 6 ft breaker this weekend from a 40 footer doing a uturn haha God i was soo high in the area i didnt know what to do! haha

+1
    Long Beach Island... Right out of the inlet to the right... 4 foot swells on a small day and as high as 12 foot on a rough day. You'll learn real quick out there. Like Fullboogie said... DONT HIT CRUMBLING WHITE CAPS ON A GPR... You WILL go over backwards... When jumping boat wakes, as pretty as it looks... Dont jump the first wake... You will eat the 2nd or 3rd wake... Instead roll over the first and crack the throttle as your climbing the second. When jumping surf waves you also want to make sure that your launching straight with the wave... not on an angle. Gpr's due to design like to come down to the right when your 10 feet in the air and trust me when I tell you... Falling from 10-15 feet in the air side by side with an 800 pound ski is scarry ... This thread has alot of pictures from Barnegat? Lbi Light house where we jump. Your welcome to join us whenevr your ready to fly Dave... http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57100

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information