Livin for the weekends

Bolt size for hull trim/bumper strips

I'm not sure what the technical terminology is for the black rubber/plastic trim that runs along the seam where the top of the hull meets the bottom, but I do need a little information about how it is held on there and the size of the bolt/thread pattern I need to fix a piece that has come loose.

I have a 97 Kawi 1100 STX. While out on the lake this last weekend I noticed that the starboard rear corner trim/bumper piece had come away from the corner closest to the bow (the stern-side attachment point was still holding). Upon inspection it appears that the bolt/rivet that holds the piece in place had come out and was likely at the bottom of the lake someplace. I can clearly see threads inside the metal insert on the inner portion of the trim/bumper but I cannot tell what size the bolt should be or the thread pattern. Additionally, I don't think it is a standard bolt as the rest of the trim/bumper strip(s) is/are held on with what appear to be rivets (in that they do not have a bolt/screw head on them) but they clearly have threads that allow something to screw into the trim/bumper strips at regualr intervals.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about? If not... pictures will definitely be in order.

Thanks!

Livin for the weekends

Doesn't seem like anyone was interested, but just in case...

I was able to determine the correct bolt size, just in case someone else out there ever has a need for the information.

After going to Home Depot and purchasing about 8 different size bolts, I was able to determine that the correct size is 8/32 with a fine thread pattern.

The next trick was getting it on the ski. After messing with it for about 2 hours, I just cut the head off the bolt so there was nothing but an inch of thread... screwed one end into the trim piece with some thread-locker for good measure... then used a nut to secure it to the hull after guiding the other end of the bolt through the hole. Took it to the lake and proceeded to twist, turn, spin, jump and flex the ski to ensure a proper fix... and all is right with the world.

My guess is you just put the wrong size bolt in. Kawasaki would be all metric sizes, just for future info! Also stainless would have been a good choice for this application.

Livin for the weekends
    Well, obviously I cannot be 100% certain that it was the right size. That was the whole point of my original post... I did not know the right size and wanted some help. What I can say for certain is that nothing else fit. I had several different options, including some comparable metrics... this was the only one that threaded right in without a problem. I did not have to force it as if I were just digging through threads. It threaded in... it threaded out just as it should. I actually tried it several times before using the thread locker because I wanted to be 100% certain that it was the proper fit. Maybe the bumper pads are not the original Kawi pads... maybe they are... again I cannot say for certain. All I know is it worked and it took an 8/32 thread diameter.

Oh... and it was a stainless steel screw.

Thanks for the feedback on this, though.

Cool glad it worked for ya.I checked the bolt on mine it measured a M5X0.8 metric. FYI Sorry didn't see your post sooner!

Thread Information