98 GS Questions, Help please!

1998 seadoo gs, it has been sitting the season of 07-08, it will start up and idle somewhat then it will shut off, then it cranks and cranks, but eventually start. you can rev it up on the trailer with water hooked up, but if you put it in the water it will idle, but go for full throttle it will cut off. Any ideas??? Thanks guys.

Please. I was thinking carbs needed cleaned.

lack of fuel check the flow of the fuel switch first if you are on "on" then switch to "res" if the problem goes away, change the fuel circuit it will only go to the next weakest link

I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out really well, it was pretty well gummed up. This is the first time dealing with an accelerator pump. I tore it apart and all there is, is a plunger. I did not rebuild the carb, just plainly cleaned them completely, soaked it in carb cleaner, and cleaned all the internal parts. I did find a check valve in one of the lines to the acc. pump, when I put it back together, I had the tapered end pointing towards the acc. pump. I put new fuel lines going to the carbs, and also a new line to the fuel pump. I took it out this afternoon, and started fine, warmed it up, and took it to full throttle, and it took off great, but engine completely dies at topend (shuts down). Starts back up and idles fine, but continues to do the same thing. I switch the fuel valve to reserve and no change in performance. I'm lost now on what to do. Could it be the accelerater pump, that I have wrong? The check valve the wrong way? All there was in the accelerator pump was a plunger, no springs or anything. Please help, thanks.

+1
    Did you pump out the old fuel and put new fuel in? Did you install a fuel filter on the fuel line? If its dying out on top end, you got something in your carbs again. Even if there is no fuel in the gas tank, when it sits, that little bit of fuel thats left gunks up at the bottom of the tank. When you add the new fuel, it breaks that stuff apart and guess where it goes to?
    Also, check your fuel valve switch, make sure its clean as well and works properly.
    To check if your accel pump is working correctly, take the cover off the carbs and see if you see it pumping fuel when you squeeze your throttle. You can check it while the motor is not running which I highly advise.
    Also, fresh plugs. That ski has been sitting for a few years, so you may want to do some other maintenances such as checking the oil in your pump, greasing the fittings, etc.
    Good luck.
    SHOOTER

Former 2 stroke hater!
    NO, the acclerator pump does just that, it squirts a little when the throttle is activated, once the engine is running a constant RPM it no longer squirts. I suggest you check your high speed needle settings. An easy way to tell if your running lean on the top end is to go to WOT (wide open throttle) while riding it and if it starts to lose power slowly pull out the choke, if it picks up (your riching the mixture via choking) then your high speed circuit is lean. before you begin to adjust your needle (high speed is the top small needle) turn it all the way in counting how many turns in it goes to close (do NOT force them) this gives you a known setting and a place to put them back to where you started if tuning doesn't help (which I think is your problem) If the choke trick helps turn the high speed needle out 1/8th to 1/4 turn at a time trying it each time (no choking this time) to see if it works its way out. Once it runs right you might hear a slight burble at WOT, this means it is slightly rich, which is a good thing because although you might lose a few mph you are in effect cooling your cylinder with the extra fuel (the engine will last longer). Another thing it might be is fuel pressure, which should be around 2 pounds at idle and 5-7 pounds at WOT. Try the above suggestions first and post what you found, if your still having trouble PM me and I will walk you through checking the fuel pressures. Good luck, Sam.

Thanks, I did replace the fuel, and had an inline filter already in the line. I also adjusted the high speed screw, but it does have a cap on it, so I left it alone for now. I tried pulling the choke on it, when it wants to cut out on me, I did pull the choke and it seemed to stay running for a min, but will still cut out. It does take a while to start back up. I pulled the plugs and sure enough they are oil soaked and blackish carbon looking. I did pull the fuel pump cover off, and the plastic sheet glued to the inside of the cover that say's pulse with two arrows on it is coming off. I didnt think that was a big deal because the four screws should have enough pressure to keep it from leaking, but maybe not??? I do have a spare pump cover that is not peeling off, and intact good. Should I replace this or does that not matter? I can still do the high spped screw adjustment, I guess I can pull the cap off the high speed screw? Thanks, guys

Thread Information