Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Got my triple pipe boat on the water

Finally got my ski out on the water over the weekend. Setup the plate without too much angle for starters. Only had enough shims to shim the tabs down .080". Will try adding more. Ski was surprisingly stable, compared to what I'm used to. Power is very impressive...I think I got the jetting fairly close on the first try...Had to turn the lows in a bit, but it rockets out of the hole now. Did a few quick WOT bursts, and saw 7600 rpm. I'm down 200-300 rpm (IIRC, these Speedwerx pipes want 7900ish rpm). Motor is a little rich on top. Didn't want to hold the new motor at WOT for more than a few seconds at a time. Still not sure what impeller I have on there...Its a Concord 14/20, but don't know if its bent or not. Boat was running 112 octane before with high compression domes, so it's possible the impeller is too steep. I also have a new 13/19 as well as a Nujet. What impeller do others run with a triple pipe, ported, 1200, just so I have an idea if I'm in the ballpark or not?

Mods:
    Speedwerx ported 66v cylinders
    New pistons/rings
    Latest revision Speedwerx triple pipes
    Speedwerx head with 150psi domes
    48mm Novis w/ 127.5P 160M, 2.3n/s 115g spring (had to adjust the jetting from the previous owner, since I removed the Dominator intake)
    Dual pickup w/ dual Mikuni pentagon pumps
    Speedwerx intake manifold
    VFIII reeds w/ spacer plate
    Advent CDI w/ pump gas Speedwerx curve
    800 intake grate
    Island MOD1 ride plate w/ .090" shims in rear.
    Protec extended nozzle
    2" pump extension
    800 grate
    Digatron tach
    And a few other little mods
    Last edited by PolarisNut; 07-28-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Hey Brad, not sure if I heard this right from Craig but arn't you running a Skat pump?

Quote Originally Posted by SvrdRam View Post
    Hey Brad, not sure if I heard this right from Craig but arn't you running a Skat pump?
    I've got an 8 vane Skat Magnum pump (non setback), but it's not in the boat. I don't have any impellers that fit it yet. Once I figure out what impeller works with the stock small hub pump, I'll decide what one to get for the Magnum.

Ahhh....I was thinking that you were running it. All I have is the 14 vein for mine with the 13/19 swril

Nothing like the pull of tripples

Never had a 1200 tripple only a 1300+ but my guess would be around a 13/19 to 14/20 should work. Wait till you get the carbs tuned in perfect and see what it turns that 14/20 in this heat.
    I think tripples are sensitive on carb adjustments and prop size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn25 View Post
    Wait till you get the carbs tuned in perfect and see what it turns that 14/20 in this heat.
    Haha...HEAT? Whats that? This is the 2nd coldest July on record for MI!

+1
    main jet may be a little steep

usually takes a 13/19 prop with the 87mm nozzle on the old style pump

+1
    I run a fuel pressure guage on my triple BB. A fuel pressure guage is a real good thing to have. At WOT, if the fuel pressure drops,its an instant answer to a lean fuel issue. A tach is also a must.These engines need to maintain a steady pressure. Now at 4100' elevation,i ran my Novi's at 120 pilot,130 main,2.3 ns, 80 gram spring on a ported 1300 triple pipe and i was running a little fat but this is at 4100'. I would say your mains are too big IMO. Try turning the mains 2 turns out,make 2-3 passes and get an rpm reading. Turn the mains 1/4 turn in and make another pass to see if your rpm's are coming up.Come in another 1/4 turn if your rpm's are climbing.Also,what return jet are you using? Always start out rich then come back in.

Your weather will kill rpm also.Whats your RAD when you tested? Also,isnt this a new engine? If so,give it some time to do a few heat cycles to loosen up.

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    I've got a spare 87mm nozzle that still has the siphon tube in it if you need or want to try it. I haven't ridden with you yet this year.... I'll be in Port Huron playing on the river if you want to meet up there Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    main jet may be a little steep

usually takes a 13/19 prop with the 87mm nozzle on the old style pump
    I thought so too, but the piston wash looks good so far...I'm very surprised. It might have to do with the fact that our average temp this summer is under 75deg, and the DA has been fairly low. I see some using 160 Mains, and others using 135 mains in ported, triple 1200s with 48 Novis. Hope to get some more seat time Sunday.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information