Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

catch can fills up in about 30 minutes?

Ok, my 06 Stage 3 Rude one, fills the catch can with oil than blows it out the filter within about 30 minutes of riding? It runs like it was stolen so I can imagine thats the problem, plus the new motor only has about 20 hours max if that. Any possible causes? I did notice that the oil is on the high side actually its about a 1/2 inch above full.
    Thanks

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Ok, my 06 Stage 3 Rude one, fills the catch can with oil than blows it out the filter within about 30 minutes of riding? It runs like it was stolen so I can imagine thats the problem, plus the new motor only has about 20 hours max if that. Any possible causes? I did notice that the oil is on the high side actually its about a 1/2 inch above full.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Yea, I was hopin it was that, my son was helping me and learning and I thought it might be the problem, I just checked it again, fist time before we went out I thought I had smeared it

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Yea, I was hopin it was that, my son was helping me and learning and I thought it might be the problem, I just checked it again, fist time before we went out I thought I had smeared it
    Suck it out to where it's between half of less between the bends. I run mine at a 1/3 between bends. Is yours smoking at all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    Suck it out to where it's between half of less between the bends. I run mine at a 1/3 between bends. Is yours smoking at all
    No its not smoking at all at least I dont think it was, and it runs stronger than hell.

+1
    Guys, just be careful how long your at wot with lower then half on dip stick. I learned the hard way, at 8,500 rpm and long wot runs there was not enough oil in the motor and i spun a rod bearing. I was a believer on running low oil for top end quick speed but for long wot racing you are running a big risk.
    For runs of 1/4 mile, your probably fine but for long long wot runs it risky IMO with high boost and high rpm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Guys, just be careful how long your at wot with lower then half on dip stick. I learned the hard way, at 8,500 rpm and long wot runs there was not enough oil in the motor and i spun a rod bearing. I was a believer on running low oil for top end quick speed but for long wot racing you are running a big risk.
    For runs of 1/4 mile, your probably fine but for long long wot runs it risky IMO with high boost and high rpm.
    So skoepp, where wouldd you suggest to run the oil? Here where we run we have some 4 mile runs with little to no other boats on the water. I love being just above a dam

+1
    So skoepp, where wouldd you suggest to run the oil? Here where we run we have some 4 mile runs with little to no other boats on the water. I love being just above a dam
    I run my ski 5 + miles all the time with not much letting off when the water is good. I got a way with it until one week before the bug and I was running her real hard trying to get ready for the bug. I think I was pretty low on dip stick. Hard for me to say but after my incounter I have talked to several builders that say close to top is only way to go. I think under hard momentum forward and long wot runs we can starve the oil picks to 100% effiecency. I can only tell you from my one experience and i think on a stock lower boost ski or power you will probably be fine at low level. But not at highly moded level, but only my opinion and experience. Also my oil pumps appeared to be in good working order when this happened. I also was running the 04 upgraded oil jet in block for more flow to head, so wonder if by doing that, it meant more oil to head and not enough to block. Only a thought.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I run my ski 5 + miles all the time with not much letting off when the water is good. I got a way with it until one week before the bug and I was running her real hard trying to get ready for the bug. I think I was pretty low on dip stick. Hard for me to say but after my incounter I have talked to several builders that say close to top is only way to go. I think under hard momentum forward and long wot runs we can starve the oil picks to 100% effiecency. I can only tell you from my one experience and i think on a stock lower boost ski or power you will probably be fine at low level. But not at highly moded level, but only my opinion and experience. Also my oil pumps appeared to be in good working order when this happened. I also was running the 04 upgraded oil jet in block for more flow to head, so wonder if by doing that, it meant more oil to head and not enough to block. Only a thought.
    Just to be safe i think I will go closer to the top, and by sucking the excess out that should cure my catch can filling with oil also? My motor was replaced after the Riva IC let loose and filled the motor with cold water and breaking a rod. My set up now is a X model IC, using a Riva X model relocation kit, Rude one, 50# injectors, Rriva ECU, Riva Valve Train upgrade, 4" Kana with Jerrys famous H2O box. IIRC the box might have come fom you.

Banned User
    For higher RPM ski's, your better off running it towards the top of the top bend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information