2001 Virage 700

virage tx vs. msx140

What is the top speed of the virage tx. Kinda disappointed in the acceleration and top speed of my msx140 (57 mph).

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What model year is your MSX 140?

What maximum sustained RPM are you seeing?
    Should be 6800-6900RPM at WOT.

The 2003 MSX 140 in stock form is slower than the 2004. There are several changes you can make which will boost the MSX 140 speed, especially if it is a 2003.

2004 ride plate increases nose lift
    Six degree jet pump wedge increases nose lift
    Installing two cylinder base gaskets under each cylinder improves top end port timing for more RPM

Another improvement can be had if the TPS is out of adjustment. Make sure the TPS goes to 100% when the throttle lever is fully squeezed.

Start by adjusting throttle cable slack to the minimum, so the throttle plates begin to move after just a little slack movement in the throttle lever. There must be some slack, otherwise the TPS doesn't properly rest at idle position, and it confuses the EMM computer.

My own stock MSX 140 runs right around 60-61mph, give or take, at 6800-6900RPM (depending on air temp and weather conditions). Only change is the intake grate is an R&D.

My 2002 Virage TXi (fuel injected) runs maybe a hair faster at WOT (61-62mph on GPS), with the same 6800-6900 RPM. R&D intake grate only change from stock.

The R&D intake grates don't really contribute to speed gains on flat water, more for the rough water improvement in pump hook up.

I think the Virage hull can also benefit from the six degree pump wedge on smooth water. The stock ride plate is actually quite good.

The carburetor Virage TX engine can be power boosted in a number of ways. Aftermarket intake reeds, compression boost, cylinder porting, even tuned triple exhaust pipes.

If you really want to go crazy with the MSX 140, you can read up on the Matrix version, which runs 200+HP.

The Virage hull is happiest on smooth waters, the MSX hull does well when the water gets choppy.

2001 Virage 700
    Thanks again for your info. Mine is a 2003. It just seems 55 mph is normal and get to 57 sometimes. It runs about 6800 rpm. I can't seem to find a 2004 ride plate or the 6 degree wedge.

2001 Virage 700
    Another question, how do I know if the TPS is going to 100% at full throttle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion900 View Post
    Another question, how do I know if the TPS is going to 100% at full throttle.
    Well, the dealer would use the Digital Wrench diagnostic system.

What you can do is adjust the idle cable slack as described.

Then loosen the TPS mounting bolts a little, and twist the TPS body counter-clockwise against the bolts, then snug the bolts up while holding the TPS in the counterclockwise position. This maximizes the amount of signal from the TPS at wide open throttle.

Do not over torque the TPS bolts, or you risk cracking the TPS.

Now go for a ride. While holding the throttle wide open, observe the steady WOT RPM. Now press your thumb on the exposed throttle cable next to the lever at WOT, and watch for any RPM increases as you apply pressure to the throttle cable.

If RPM rises, then the EMM is not seeing 100% signal from the TPS, and something is out of adjustment, or the TPS needs replacing.

2001 Virage 700
    Thanks, any ideas where to buy the 2004 ride plate and 6 degree wedge?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fusion900 View Post
    Thanks, any ideas where to buy the 2004 ride plate and 6 degree wedge?
    Both are somewhat rare, but they do show up from time to time.

Search on here for the wedge, someone was making them recently.

The 2004 MSX ride plate can be found on all the 2004 MSX models made after October 2003.

There are two different ride plates for the MSX 140 hull
    MSX 03 Rideplate - 5631257-329
    MSX 04 Rideplate - 5631598-329

Prior posts cover all things to check. Speeds your getting are about right. How much fuel in ski? Remove weight from bow area & all your weight shifted to rear for best top end. My 03 runs 55 mph GPS full of gas with hot weather. Cold weather 4 gals gas, storage bin removed, 1/2 mile + run 58-59 mph GPS.These speeds with stock ride plate & wedge. Check impeller clearence, .020" is service limit, no mangled/bent blades. Try a local machineshop/machinist, they should be able to make a 6 deg wedge for you. Bring stock one for reference. Hope this helps.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

base gaskets

the base gasket thing was a matrix only mod,adding those drops compression,but on the matrix they had to make a custom head anyway so they got the compression back

I have a 03 msx 140, 04 msx 140, 01 txi 1200:

Here is what I have learned:

2003 msx 140

The 6 degree wedge does lift the bow and free the hull but that only works if you need to do that, the other way is to get rid of all that weight up front... lose the storage container, move the fire ext to the rear and any other chit to the back, get creative, it works, this way you eliminate the need for the 6 deg wedge. The 6 deg wedge will scrub speed in corners, if that is a concern for you. I changed to 6 deg wedge once and the straight line speed change was barely noticeable, but in flat out river riding through corners a stock msx will pull 25 feet every turn, and you never catch up, believe me I have held that 2003 wide open for 20 minutes watching my buddy pull away every turn. Depends on your local conditions. Shifting the weight back works.

2004 msx 140

It will out accelerate a 2003, and top speed is about the same. Same being.. side by side wide open on glass for 5 minutes and your still 10 feet from each other. If the 2003 has the proper CG shift I have talked about.

The 2004 runs smoother and gets 15 more per tank.

The 2004 rides free, almost spooky sometimes, it dance and darts, especially when low on fuel. Feels like a bass boat flat out with a jacking plate and tilted to the max. SPOOKY.

TPS adjustment is critical, as are good plugs.

Go out at night, pull the seat off and start the ski.. what do you see? Well if you see blue cracklies that is lost energy and miss timing, do something about it. Your ski will run better. My txi looked like fire storm, when brand new.

that's all i can remenber for now...

smokewagon,

Thread Information