+1

Dropped Screw -- Gone Forever?????

So this weekend I was removing my stock intercooler to upgrade to JFizzle's kit. I removed the intake manifold (7 Torx) and slid the intercooler out. When replacing the intake manifold, (standing on the starboard side of the ski) the last Torx on the bottom slipped out of my hands and into the depths of the ski.

I've dropped screws etc before, but never like this. I've lifted the trailer as high as it will go in the bow, while blowing very concentrated compressed air under the engine.. checked under the intake manifold.. as best as I could around the gas tank etc. Nothing! I've spent a good 2 hours reaching my arms under the engnine to no avail.

My worst fear is that it fell INTO the intake manifold where the intercool once was.

If worse comes to worse, how bad is it to leave a screw lost in the compartment?

Do you think I could find a E8 Torx like this at a hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot etc?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Pike View Post
    So this weekend I was removing my stock intercooler to upgrade to JFizzle's kit. I removed the intake manifold (7 Torx) and slid the intercooler out. When replacing the intake manifold, (standing on the starboard side of the ski) the last Torx on the bottom slipped out of my hands and into the depths of the ski.

I've dropped screws etc before, but never like this. I've lifted the trailer as high as it will go in the bow, while blowing very concentrated compressed air under the engine.. checked under the intake manifold.. as best as I could around the gas tank etc. Nothing! I've spent a good 2 hours reaching my arms under the engnine to no avail.

My worst fear is that it fell INTO the intake manifold where the intercool once was.

If worse comes to worse, how bad is it to leave a screw lost in the compartment?

Do you think I could find a E8 Torx like this at a hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot etc?
    I have a 8mm and a 10mm in there somewhere too..No big issue, after a few holeshots you might find it in the back.. You can always try a magnet tool too

+1
    I may just end up letting it be, I have a lot more to accomplish before I leave for vacation in two weeks

Do you think any store would have a replacement?

What happens if it fell into the inter cooler cut-out?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by RX-Pike View Post
    I may just end up letting it be, I have a lot more to accomplish before I leave for vacation in two weeks

Do you think any store would have a replacement?

What happens if it fell into the inter cooler cut-out?
    Any hardware store will have a replacement. And YES if it fell into your intake, you need to get it out.
    Make sure you get SS screws

+1
    My story sounds a lot like yours, except after 2 hours my wife came outside and asked me what I was cussing about. Told her trying to find a bolt. She stuck her skinny arms in and found in about 2 minutes. As far as finding one at Lowes or something like that, maybe same thread but probably not torx head.

+1
    if its in the hull then just replace it with another bolt, it will turn up at the back of the ski next time your in. BUT if it is in the inlet manifold were the oem intercooler was then you have probs, dont start it, remove the manifold and shake it out.
    Last edited by jetskibill9999; 07-15-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: wanted email notification

i have lost screws like this in my hull,i find an extending magnet works best,bit like a car arieal,swept acroos the bottom,or a carefully placed bucket of water with the ski tipped right up can sometimes shift it to the back.I open up the front remove the bucket,tip the ski and pour....worked for me a few times,just soaked the engine with wd40 after good to go.

+1
    Ace Hardware carries stainless steel metric bolts, and chrome bolts for the Harley guys. Plus, one can replace the torx with a regular style bolt.

Thread Information