99 Ultra 150 limited power?

Hi, guys new here, I have an Ultra 150 with an unresolved issue and maybe someone here can help. Issue is the Ski will start and run fine up to about 4500-5000rpms then that's it, nothing more. It doesn't bog, stall out, miss, choke, bind, make any odd noises, just won't go above that threshold.
    Some history, 80hrs. on ski, has always run fine until last summer when it started this. Not sure if related but had a friend fall off at speed and power was cut (obviously) at speed. Ski stayed upright though. So there's that, then later in the summer it developed a miss mid range rpms. Bought new plugs, no change. Ran out of time in season and it sat all winter until i worked on it in spring. Shortened all plug wires, cleaned plugs, checked cdi box and looked for anything obviously wrong. Nothing. Had it out to the lake and the miss is gone, but that's where its at now, low rpms and no power. So, it's currently at a dealer and they are not finding anything wrong. What they have done: cleaned carbs, checked carb slides, checked for soft spots in exhaust hose, and looked over anything mechanical that may be bad. All has done nothing to improve performance and they agree with me about problem of rpm limit. They are working with Kawasaki to try and figure it out, anybody got any ideas? It's just as though 4500rpms is all she's got nothing more, very weird.

Thanks in advance!

ADDDDDDAH DDDDDAH DDDDDAH!!!!
    have they looked into the pump at all? maybe some type of bearing issue or interference with impeller/pump. ive had situations where pump housing has corrosion from saltwater which causes it to swell inward and bind up the edges of the impeller. Does it achieve higher rpms on the hose with no load?keep lokkin and good luck.

Sounds alot like its running on 2 cylinders. Might take it out for a water test, take a short run then pull the seat back and feel the plug bases. If you feel a cold one then thats the one not firing. I would check the pump for gp. Early models had issues with pump seals and bearings. If you pull the cone and find water then its time.

Quote Originally Posted by hooksgp1300 View Post
    have they looked into the pump at all? maybe some type of bearing issue or interference with impeller/pump. ive had situations where pump housing has corrosion from saltwater which causes it to swell inward and bind up the edges of the impeller. Does it achieve higher rpms on the hose with no load?keep lokkin and good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Sounds alot like its running on 2 cylinders. Might take it out for a water test, take a short run then pull the seat back and feel the plug bases. If you feel a cold one then thats the one not firing. I would check the pump for gp. Early models had issues with pump seals and bearings. If you pull the cone and find water then its time.
    Hooksgp1300: they are going to look into the driveshaft and bearings next. It's never been anywhere near saltwater though. I would think if it were a drivetrain issue that it would still rev higher but just make some sort of noises or vibration and kind of binding effect that you could feel, which it does not. It doesn't rev high on hose either.

btldigger: been all through that and have ruled out ignition except for cdi bad. Cdi doesn't show any signs of looking bad, looks brand new inside. I will have them look into the pump seals and bearings though.

Thanks guys, with any luck they will eventually look at everything on the ski since problem is still unknown, lol. I'll keep updating as i find out what it isn't and may be.

They might check the temp sensor located in the side of the expansion chamber too. Usually that will throw a warning light. If they can ge ahold of a cdi to try I would give that a shot just to eliminate it. Have they checked the reeds? Some of those symptoms point that way. If you rev it with the f/a off you will see it spitting back through the carb when you rev it.

So for an update, They're telling me they found a bad bearing in the pump housing. Have to wait and see if that's the smoking gun. These guys have a good week and a half into chasing this problem on my ski. Man i hope that's gonna fix it, haven't been able to use it all year! I'll update after bearing and seal replacement.

Have them get the bearings and seals for an 05 ultra. That will get you 3 seals instead of 2. If they look at you like you lost your mind tell them yes you know it is a different part # but it works. I would also want kawi parts txgpr1300 tried a wsm pump kit on his ultra and the seals leaked imediatly. He did exactly what I said and got the 05 seals, problem solved and the bearings will last much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Have them get the bearings and seals for an 05 ultra. That will get you 3 seals instead of 2. If they look at you like you lost your mind tell them yes you know it is a different part # but it works. I would also want kawi parts txgpr1300 tried a wsm pump kit on his ultra and the seals leaked imediatly. He did exactly what I said and got the 05 seals, problem solved and the bearings will last much longer.
    exactly what i did and ski is back up and running, Thanks ^^^!!!
    Sorry, for the late update, got caught up enjoying the ski again, before weather change.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

what are the odds...

this sounds like what's going on with the evil twins I have in the shop right now..but both sets of pump bearing going bad right after gassing up at the local marina?

Well I'm about at wits end with this one..so I guess I can't WASTE ANY MORE TIME by pulling the pump off for a look see.

I've already:

drained the suspected bad fuel (great fun eh?)
    pulled the carbs, tore down and inspected everything
    swapped the cdi box assembl from the sister ski
    checked for leaking a/c voltage from a bad r/r
    compression test

no signs of a reed problem, but seeng these skis are from florida, the pump is starting to sound good..but I'm kinda doubting it..well maybe...both skis had centerline bearing failures within a few hours of each other last season.

I was going to replace the fuel pump..but that's going to be a $150 gamble with bad odds for me. The pump looked good when I cracked the case..and after the fuel draining, it primed up as expected without help.

com-on show me a sev-an......or an elevun!

Thread Information