+1

GP1200 drive shaft damper

Hey guys, I usually post on PWCtoday.com but was refered here by OsideBill for superior tech and to look for help where there are true experts. Take it easy on me, since this is my first post. I am used to working on cars but am giving my 1999 GP1200 a go for wrenching. LOL.

I recently heard some clanking at idle coming from under the drive shaft coupler cover and suspected the damper needed replacing. I took it to a local shop for an estimate and was quoted $500 to replace it. I said the hell with it, I'll do it myself.

Well I undid the motor mount brackets and slid the whole engine forward and here is what I found.

I have already ordered a new damper and it will be here in a couple days. There does not appear to be any damage to the couplers and both look fine. When I spin the rear coupler it spins freely with no play up and down or side to side whatsoever. Is it safe to assume the main bearing is ok then? I am curious to know what caused my damper to go bad. The dealer told me it is common for them to wear out but all 5 smaller ears on the damper are broken off. I am guessing that they all did not just go at the same time but that pieces had broken off at different intervals and when the last piece went, that was when I heard a hell of a clanking. Some pieces were just laying in the bottom of the hull.

The drive shaft alignment does not seem to be off but I won't really know until it goes back together. I just want to know what caused it so that I don't go to all the trouble to replace it and have it break again.

Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by hitman; 08-01-2006 at 02:01 AM.

+1
    Welcome to the forum, hitman.... I imagine that they just got worn out from it being almost an 8 year old ski. If you think about it, all the energy from the motor is transferred through the coupler to the driveshaft; somethings bound to wear out at some point, and the coupler was designed to be easily replacable. If everything else checks out, replace it and ride on.

If you don't have a copy already, here is the service manual for the GP1200 (it's the 98 model manual, but it's the same info).

http://www.ramnj.com/97-98%20GP760%2...0%20MANUAL.pdf

+1
    Welcome to the Forum !!!

I had a simular incident with my GPR. The rear drive shaft nut (pump) came loose and walked forward. It pushed the intermediate shaft toward the engine and the coupler halves were rubbing together. Of course it trashed my extension housing, wear ring and prop. Something to check while its apart.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum !

+1
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it makes sense that the damper just wore out seeing as how old it is. When I get the new one installed I will make sure the couplers are correctly alligned to the specs in the manual.

Is an OEM replacement damper sufficient or should I look for an aftermarket one?
    Last edited by hitman; 08-01-2006 at 01:07 PM.

+1
    I would get the Riva "heavy duty" dampner, it is stiffer than the OEM is only $2.44 more.

+1

Thumbs up

Hitman Glad to see you made it. There are a lot of great GP tuners here. I have learned volumes. browse the how to section for some great info and ask you will be amazed at the responses and Knowledge here.
    Welcome!

OsideBill

Thread Information