Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ain't nothing like a good PEEP Show!!!!! wertz6's Avatar

Angry Still Need HELP and now I'm just getting Pissed!

I took the EFI out and connected the computer wires back up, THE SKI STARTED. After cleaning off the EFI connectors and spraying them with WD-40 I let it sit out on the counter to dry for 3 days. Yesterday I re-connected the EFI and the ski started. I was smoking out the exhaust pretty good but that was probably due to oil from trying to start it so many times before I got it fixed. After starting it I revved it twice and let it idol for about 30 more sec before turning it off. I then drove it to the lake to run it. After getting it in the water I jumped on and tried to start it, it did it again; it just revved and never turned over. At this point now I'm really pissed. I just had it running at the house and now this, AGAIN. Please Help, What could be wrong. I need this up and work by the weekend for a trip. Thanks Guys.

--Jeff

PS. Refer to this previous thread to see the course of actions I've taken so far.
    GP1300R Help, Was left for dead on the lake this weekend, HELP!!!

+1
    could still be a combination of things...I'm still wondering what the deal is with your horrible compression numbers. I'd try another tester with ALL of the plugs out and see what you get. Regardless if I hit the throttle or not I get 162, 162,156 on my ski that hasnt even had the rings set properly. Also what is your idle/tps set at?...that would possibly explain the idle out of water but not running while in the water. You may have to "thumb" the throttle a bit to keep it running. In the water you should be idling at atleast 1500 rpms...out of the water its around 2100ish if my memory serves me correctly. Since your connectors are cleaned/dry I'd suggest filling them with dielectric grease and plugging them back in.

there is still too many factors of what it could be. It could be an air leak/bad gasket(s) thats contributing to your idle/running issues along with your low compression. Take it to the dealer IMO and have them run a compression check or do the loan a tool deal from autozone or another parts place and see what it comes up with.

Mike

First off I'm no mechanic and don't have much experience at all with this, but I'll tell you what worked for mine and the more experienced guys can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong and just got lucky.

My ski (96 Raider 700) sat for several years in the water. I got it running by spraying a bunch of penetrating oil in the cylinders and then cranking the motor several times with the plugs out. After that, I took it out and it ran for maybe an hour (pretty smoky), then it died again and I got towed in. Brought it back home, sprayed more penetrating oil, shot some ether in there and it fired up, but then died. So I left the plugs out and the engine hatch up for about 4 hours in 100+ heat to let it evaporate because of all the crap we had sprayed and poured in there. Once I did that it fired right up and ran great for 3 outings, haven't had any more problems.

This may or may not work for you, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

+1
    Jeff check pm...

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    take a picture of your efi controller so we can look at the settings

I'm pretty sure it's set at 6-6-1-4 ??

+1
    6-6-1-4 is more than likely way off bro. If the only thing you got is milled head, no key way, try 3-5-1-6. The crossover is usually around 6 (which is the last pod). The first pod is your idle controller and your dumping a butt load of fuel into the ski at idle. So try to take the first pod and lower it some. In fact, just turn it on one and see if it runs in the water at that setting.
    Also, make sure your throttle cable is not too tight. That can throw off the efi throttle bodies.
    Also, make sure the plugs are not fouled and are new.
    Also, did you for any reason mess with the throttle body settings at all? I mean on the throttle bodies themselved, there are some screws and nuts you can adjust to get more idle, etc. Did you mess with those?
    If push comes to shove, you can send them off to Jim at Jim's Performance and have him go through it. I think Richard (WFO) does it as well, just have them check your throttle bodies for you.
    I am going to go read your other thread, but from this one thats what i would assume from your saying.
    SHOOTER

check to make sure your throttle cable is not tight. There is a sensor on the TB's that will kill the spark if it is off throttle when you start it. Also try and run it at the lake with the efi controler disconnected (like it was stock) if it runs you have a bad controller.
    Mike

RE:

OK, so here's the deal-e-o. I got it started again in the yard. I put it on the hose and let it run for like 5-8 min while I check over everything. Everything looked good. I took it down to the lake and started it on the trailer, still good. Put it in the water and it wouldn't turn over. So I proceeded to open the throttle and it finally turned over after a second or two and it road. But about 50% of the time, once I had it at idol speed, it cut off and I had to hold the start button down and open the throttle till it went again. Someone at the lake told me it might be the cranck shaft seal and that's probably why my compression is down. Any thoughts from the gallery on this before I just take it to the shop for a once over? O, I also fixed the EFI settings to 3-5-1-6. It just idols a lot slower now so I think I'll reset it for at least (4 or 5)-5-1-6 and see what that gives me.

--Jeff

Jeff I ad the same issue was driving me nuts! Was told due to TPS it had to be all the way off to start and one day got jack (I had tried evrything, restting TPS, controller) opened up throttle a little when startingand presto Just rode it like that afterwards One of those things

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information