Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Intake grates for 150 Speedster

Just curious what you guys are running for aftermarket intake grates on you 150's and what performance pros/cons your seeing.

i used r&d for x ski from gerry store # 113-95004
    i have better top speed and the boat stay hook in the chop. it's vx1 that try it the first.you will have to modified it a bit very easy.

thanks marc340

When you say that you needed to mod it I'm guessing shaving it a bit?

I am considering getting this grate also but have read in other threads about the grates being no good on the boats. Did anyone else have any good or bad results from installing the grate?

I'm also looking to do an impeller, if I'm currently turning 8050 rpms what impeller should I go for, the 14/19 or 13/18?

yes on the back it have a lip that i cut it take me 5 min.

Thanks

Using the R&D, I believe it was member "ironhead" who tried it even before I did. He reported about a 2.5 MPH gain. I think that's an unrealistic expectation. I might have gotten another half MPH out of it, but it's hard to tell. I will say that the pump stays loaded much better now in the chop, than it did with the stock grate.

That's exactly the kind of testimonial I was looking for, I think I'm gonna try it. I also read somewhere that they felt it kept the pump loaded better while cornering which would be awesome, cause I really don't like how much speed the boat scrubs while turning, did you experience any cornering improvement?

better hook in turn and the pump stay load more, for top speed the boat feel more loose,go from right to left but just a bit on flat water . more top speed ???.but for shure better ride.

Quote Originally Posted by k-dub View Post
    That's exactly the kind of testimonial I was looking for, I think I'm gonna try it. I also read somewhere that they felt it kept the pump loaded better while cornering which would be awesome, cause I really don't like how much speed the boat scrubs while turning, did you experience any cornering improvement?
    Sure, maybe minimally better in cornering, just because the pump stays loaded, but most of your cornering loss is hull-induced drag, so any real improvement there would be had by getting more of the hull outta the water, which I haven't really found a way to do yet. I wish someone out there would be a guinea pig and test out a wedge on a S150 (God knows I've been the guinea pig with enough stuff).

Do yourself a favor when installing the grate, go ahead and remove your supercharger for easy access to the grate's front bolt. I didn't think to do that when installing mine, and it was a major PITA dealing with that bolt. Last time I took out my SC, I looked down and saw that bolt, and saw how much easier it wouldn't have been installing the grate without the SC in the way.

Here's an old thread where I show where you might have to grind down the grate a little. I didn't have to, because that part of my pump show was missing anyway: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=grate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information