1050 stator pooched ? someone shed some light !!

hey guys, just so you know i've read almost every post on no spark condition, and tested all wires, and sequences that i've seen on here. Problem is i am only getting spark when my switch is let off. during i wont get any. from another guys post(who had same symptoms), his stator was bad. i beleive my cdi is the original as its pn is 4010447, and the last guy i talked to said he had the stator replaced. so i assumed it would be good. well ive been probing wires and the stator black wire to purple and gray show no ohms. not registering anything.. as well not registering open for any of the other wires ??!!! ive checked all other components and they seem to be fine...soo im assuming my stator is pooched ? one other thing is ... i am getting above 11.5 volts on crank from battery and from cdi red/purp, but when i am cranking the orange wire off of the regulator is only at 2.5 v or so ... is that normal ? i have tried the bilge while starting and it works, but still no spark..

oh i should aslo mention there is a wire coming from the inside ground point of the elect box (black wire) that has been cut off just outside the box. But from what ive read you only do that if its the upgraded cdi and stator ? im about to back this thing off a cliff lol getting frustrated...

ohhh nevermind apparently i do have the upgraded cdi ! so when this guy told me i have a new stator they must have done the upgrade.... so why am i not getting spark .. lol still need some help .. however im going to retest with the newer specs, but i still think the stator is fried

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Once you install the ignition update kit, you must use 2000 and later Service Manual specs when diagnosing the ignition system and stator coils.
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?
    My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

The Orange wires from the LR regulator module should jump up to close to full battery voltage when the engine is cranking or running.

Check the grounding of the LR module, and the entire electrical box.

Everything grounds through a single black wire to the stator, which then grounds through the stator mounting bolt to the engine case, which in turn grounds through the heavy black battery cable.

thanks kk47, ive been reading your other posts on hoe to test mag and cdi, and reading the service man,but i am wondering how to tell if i have an old stator. i know my cdi is new, but i am wondering if my stator is shot, or possibly old .. your post says:

The original domestic stators (1996-1999) have two exciter coils (Purple, Black, Gray wires), the 2000+ Update stator only has one exciter coil (Purple and Black wires).

Both the old and update stators have a gray wire, but it is used for different things. In the old stator the gray wire is an exciter coil. In the newer stator design the gray wire is an isolated ground wire for the Hall Effect sensor.

the stator in mine has a purple wire does that mean its old ?

+1
    The newer updated CDI only works on a newer updated staor. So yes you have the newer style stator

sorry i posted that question last night with no juice left in my system, i was soo frustrated i wasnt thinkin right lol... well ive checked practically everything anyone has been told in these forums and in the serv manuals.. and to no avail. the only thing i can think is causeing no spark is the stator .. even tho it seems to be in spec. there has been a similar post with the same symptoms as mine exactly, and it was his stator .. but before i order another one, am i missing anything ? is there anything else i can check ?

Yeeeeaahh!!

Well got spark today by jumpin my battery to my trucks... so im gonna go get a good battery tomrorow and hopefully with a full charge it will as well .. thanks for your guys input!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dollaman View Post
    Well got spark today by jumpin my battery to my trucks... so im gonna go get a good battery tomorrow and hopefully with a full charge it will as well .. thanks for your guys input!
    So, did a fresh battery solve the problem?

Thread Information