Throttle Position Sensor Swap - Can Cause CHECK ENGINE Message on FFI models

This is a bit of a duplicate post, but thought this deserved it's own.

Anyone replacing TPS sensors on a Ficht Direct-Injected machine should be aware that it's possible that a new TPS sensor may cause the CHECK ENGINE message to appear on the MFD.

It seems the EMM is calibrated to a particular sensor. If the new sensor's min/max resistance range (in the installed position) is sufficiently (?) different than the old sensor, it will trigger a CHECK ENGINE message.

I believe the EMM can be re-calibrated by a dealer with Digital Wrench to match the new sensor. I hope to be able to confirm this tomorrow.

Well, after "getting my learn on" from K447, it appears that my new TPS isn't different than my old one....it's just missing a small piece. The missing piece causes it to be in a different location than the old sensor at idle and WOT, hence the CHECK ENGINE message.

I might call parts pit stop and ask them to take care of it, but I think I can just move the piece from the old sensor to the new one.

So, this thread isn't quite 100% accurate......UNLESS your new TPS is missing the little nub that rides on the throttle shaft.

+1
    Ask for another tps .It is faulty .Of the 30 or so TPS that I have had, I havent had one do as you say .I generally check on the wrench as too the % reading of them before and after installing .

Bernie

Hey Bernie,

Thanks for the info. I think the sensor is OK...it's just missing that little round nub that rides on the throttle shaft. For $90, they should have given me a COMPLETE sensor, not one that is missing parts.

I was not thinking very clearly when I installed it. I noticed that the nub was "missing" but attributed it to a "new" sensor design. I didn't realize it was just plain missing. So, when I tried to run it with the nub missing, the sensor was actually offset by the thickness of the nub at idle and WOT. Hence the CHECK ENGINE warning.

K447 informed me that is was only the nub that was missing. I haven't re-installed the new sensor with the nub on it since the machine is running great with the old sensor, but I do think I'm going to call the store I bought it from and ask them to rectify it for me (either send me a new sensor or at least send me the missing part).

Thanks for the help!!!

Thread Information