Thread: Shock in hood

Shock in hood

My hood is busted on my 07 RXT and wont stay in place at the top.I took out the hose in the front and got a new one.I believe all I do is put the hose back in with the 2 balls, and the hose has to have the rigid edge down correct?Just making sure because i dont want to screw it up.And then I just zip tie the wires to the hose correct?Thanks for the input guys!

i tried today and the shock will not fit in...because the hood will not fully extend the shock is too long...do i take out the screw out of the steel part that goes up and down and will that make it work?and then put the screw back in and the shock will compress?

If I understand you correctly your having the same issue I am. There is a triangular piece of aluminum that the ball should be connected too. Remove the nut bolt and bushing from the bottom side of the L rod on that triangle. once disconnected you can push the triangle piece up high enough to fit the shock on the ball. Take the insert of a half inch ratchet and stick it in the rectangle slot and use it to compress the shock. Get someone to help you and have them reinstall the L rod and its hardware while you maintain and adjust pressure on the ratchet while aligning it enough for your helper to install the L rod bolt.

If your like me it will pop out as soon as you start riding it again. I am taking it in this week for maintenance and that is one of the things they will be fixing under warranty. I think something is bent but I gave up on it once it popped back up since it is under warranty.

Good luck.

+1
    if anyone needs a new hood shock & bracketry i have one less than 10 hours use like new!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shk1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	142567  

so basically disasemble the l road piece there is a washer and some weird nut kind of thing...put the hood up enough for the shock to be placed...then use the ratchet to compress it...then replace the l rod back in place and it should hopefully be good to go...thank you very much!!

Hi, I had the trbl. I brought to the dealer, Garganos in East Haven Ct, They are great. Service guy brought it in and first thing he did was ck for service bullitens. YES there is an adjustment to the mounting location for the bottom of the piston. He moved it over 2-3 mm to the drivers side, {think of a car drive vs passenger side}. He did remove the mounting bracket on top and hooked all up fine with just him self. Mind you mine is a 2008 rxt 215. And yes under warranty.

did everything how you guys said and worked like a charm...until i closed and opened it for the 4th time it popped right back off the top ball..wen i looked at it when together the shock was rubbing the metal piece...should i tell the dealer to bend the metal piece of move the ball mount on the bottom a little to the side?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steviey2493 View Post
    did everything how you guys said and worked like a charm...until i closed and opened it for the 4th time it popped right back off the top ball..wen i looked at it when together the shock was rubbing the metal piece...should i tell the dealer to bend the metal piece of move the ball mount on the bottom a little to the side?
    I had the same problem on my 08 RXT-X. The dealer had a service advisory telling them to move the base of the shock over a few mm to the left, re-rivot and add some silicone to the old holes. Has worked like a charm all year so far. Hope that helps!

Ed

Thread Information