1994 750SLT Stator

I finally just about got the SBT motor installed and was reconnecting the electrical. I put the battery in, connected the ground and then just touched the positive to the battery to see if I had any draw before connecting it. Sure as heck, it pulled a small spark, so it is draining some current some where. I touched it again and I could hear a small noise coming from the engine. It's not from the starter, so I can only assume its coming from the stator. It was an odd sound, almost like how a block heater or kettle sound like when it first gets plugged in and begins heating. Anyone experience this before? I am going to pull the electrical box apart again and test the lead reistances, but darn it, I don't want to have to pull the motor again to get the freakin stator out!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Disconnect the Yellow and Red/Purple wires on the LR voltage regulator module in the electrical box.

Does the spark and sound no longer happen?

The LR module may be failing.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have a bilge pump?

If so, that's prob what you heard.

Mine will give a small growl when I connect the battery at first.

Well, I went back and reconnected the battery and there was no more sparks or sounds, so I connected everything and fired her up. Sounds OK, had a miss at idle, but one of the plugs had a pice of goop in it. More questions now though...

I was running a garden hose attached to the water rail and I pinched off the hose going to the exhaust with a pair of vice grips. At idle, everything sounds nice and smooth. On shut down, it lets out a bit of a rattle. Is this normal when it is running out of water? I was also checking the temps of the engine with my hand and everything was quite nice and cool. I touched the coupler cover and rubber where the grease nipple is. Both those parts are surprisingly hot to the touch. Does that usually get quite hot?

Oh yeah, is there any way of telling if the stator is charging without pulling the electrical box apart?

normally gets hot if its not in the water

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yammerhead View Post
    Well, I went back and reconnected the battery and there was no more sparks or sounds, so I connected everything and fired her up. Sounds OK, had a miss at idle, but one of the plugs had a pice of goop in it. More questions now though...

I was running a garden hose attached to the water rail and I pinched off the hose going to the exhaust with a pair of vice grips. At idle, everything sounds nice and smooth. On shut down, it lets out a bit of a rattle. Is this normal when it is running out of water? I was also checking the temps of the engine with my hand and everything was quite nice and cool. I touched the coupler cover and rubber where the grease nipple is. Both those parts are surprisingly hot to the touch. Does that usually get quite hot?

Oh yeah, is there any way of telling if the stator is charging without pulling the electrical box apart?
    Rattle from the pump when out of water is normal.

Thru hull bearing will get hot when run on the trailer because there's no water to cool it. So normal on the trailer, yes. Hot when in the water, NO.

Thread Information