Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Well, I bit the bullet

My buddies '08 TX was loosing performance. Could be that with 79 hours and he's never serviced it, but he took it to a mechanic that told him the SC was going out and wanted $700 to rebuild it.

Last time out I noticed that my ski with 52 hours didn't seem up to par. Checked everything in the pump area for trash, but it sounded fine, just seemed off a bit.

Talked to the Sea Doo stealership about rebuilding the SC and they said not till 100 hours but covered under my maintenance plan they think. Think??? I am WTF? If not then it's $700, but they "think" it should be covered.

Sooooooooooooooooo, I decided to bite the bullet, ordered me a '08 rebuild kit, tools, etc and did the same for my buddy using his own Debit card last night, made him buy half the tools. Hopefully they get here by Tuesday next week, then I'm yanking my SC off and going to do the rebuild. Then I'll do my buddies.

I did the Kanaflex intake and the rideplate and I have to say the improvement was well worth the investment. I talked to my bodyshop guy and while I have the SC out, I'm going to have him do the pump tunnel reinforcement. He said $60 to lay 3 layers of fiberglass mat and resin on the tunnel area as shown here on GH. COOL!

Sounds like you got your sht together.

+1
    Good luck,Go slow and take no short cuts..A Scer rebuild if not done right can cost ya more than 700 dollars in the future...Its definatly something you can do yourself BUT just take your time doing it...

Well, I'm have a little background in mechanics. I have been building race engines for 30 years including blown alky engines, we have 2-9 second drag cars, both alky. I build engines, transmissions and rear ends mostly for circle track. Just completed a '55 chevy and am building another single turbo EFI alky drag car for myself. My dad was an A&P mechanic and I fix all my big heavy construction equipment also so I hope the SC isn't that big of a deal.

The subtle nuances to a SC are you all's expertise and your advice and assistance is greatly appreciated and I may call on your knowledge and experience until I become familiar with this SC rebuilding and the ski in general. That is why I post here, I need your help and I am not afraid to ask for it, so thanks for all your inputs they are appreciated.

Would be great if you posted a step by step with photos of the rebuild like Sean did for the washers. My 2006 RXT SC has 110 original hours on it. No signs of slippage yet but I think I'll rebuild at the end of this season.

original ceramic washers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian411 View Post
    Would be great if you posted a step by step with photos of the rebuild like Sean did for the washers. My 2006 RXT SC has 110 original hours on it. No signs of slippage yet but I think I'll rebuild at the end of this season.

Even though this is for the SCer bearing replacement, The instructions are pretty much the same seeing you have to tear down the whole Scer to replace the bearings...

http://www.rivamotorsports.com/instr...750_cb_420.pdf

Yes - they are the original ceramic washers. There have been zero modifications on the machine. Dealer says they are lifetime parts but that the metal washers need maintenance. Of course, dealer also says that the SC usually need to be rebuilt around 100hrs and rebuild kits now have metal washers.

Machine still gets above 60 mph without issue.

Thanks for the instructions link Snoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian411 View Post
    Yes - they are the original ceramic washers. There have been zero modifications on the machine. Dealer says they are lifetime parts but that the metal washers need maintenance. Of course, dealer also says that the SC usually need to be rebuilt around 100hrs and rebuild kits now have metal washers.
    Dude....you are playing...not with fire...with napalm.

+1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information