Looking For Info On 1996 Polaris SL900

I am looking at a 1996 SL 900 that is for sale for $1500.00....
    The guy says the ski is in real good condition with just normal dock scuffs and such.

Are there any known issues that I should be concerned about with this ski?

Or anything I should be looking for when I test ride it? I know some skis are unstable, more so with 2 people....anyone know how this ski rates in that area.

And do you think $1500.00 is a good price, he won;t come down any at all....it does come with a trailer.

Thanks

Any help would be appreciated

I haven't ridden the 900 but I know my 95 750 is unstable with two sitting still. Once you get going I have no complaints. I'm not sure of any particular issues with the 900, but when you go to ride it this is what I would do...

1. Check the compression and make sure it is in spec.
    2. Pull the covers off the carbs, look at the diphrams, look for sludge..yada yada.
    3. Climb under the ski on the trailer and look at the impeller to see what shape it's in. If you have some feeler gauges run one around and see what it measures.
    4. Take a flex light, pull the plugs,drop each cylinder to bottom and look at your piston wash.
    5. Now generally look the craft over and check for rotted fuel lines, burnt wires, cracks, ya know...just general stuff. I'm sure the other guys will add much more, I'm learning myself. There is a great section here with the manuals where you can get all the specs.

+1
    My friend has a 96 SL900,it's pretty stable,pretty quick and handles good.
    It has sponsons,long jet pump,long ride plate and trim.

As long as it's in good shape,shiney.Look at the bottom to see if it is extremely gouged.
    It should be worth $1500

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    If you looking for a little more stability, buy a 96-99 polaris SLTX 1050, its a 3 seater with the 1050 engine. i love mine, handles rough water great at full throttle and is plenty fast. Shouldn't be more much more and it will keep up or poss be faster than the sl900. Mine is faster stock than my friend's stock 96 xp 800 and his is supposed to be 1 to 2 mph faster and his weighs 330 lbs versus mine at 610lbs plus i weigh 40lbs more myself.

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    I would also insist upon the seller taking it to the lake to try out because all skis and boats run differently once you put a load on them. checking them out with a hose is not good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by 96sltx1050 View Post
    I would also insist upon the seller taking it to the lake to try out because all skis and boats run differently once you put a load on them. checking them out with a hose is not good enough!
    +1 +1 +1

And I'd like to add....don't just test ride it, test ride it with the seat off!!!! I missed my water leak when I bought my Virage a couple months ago by not riding it with the seat off.

$1500 for machine and trailer seems good to me.

I have a 96 sl900 and I love it. It was my first ski and now my girl rides it. Not to much fun with 2 people and that is why I bought a second ski.

Thread Information