Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: plastic bunks?

plastic bunks?

I have seen Trex or similar plastic/fake wood in place of or attached to existing bunks. Will this plastic/vinyl material scratch the hull? would it be worse than the rug covered bunks? Thanks...

They wouldn't rot or deteriorate as fast as PT lumber but I'd think you'd still need to cover them with carpet.

+1
    Ran them for years...solid plastic bunks. They do not scratch the hull, and if you keep them smooth, they do NOT pick up dirt and scratch your hull.

However, they will not support your ski without a brace in the middle. They will sag on the first use, and will only touch at the front/rear. All you need is a lightweight aluminum L-bracket that runs from front/rear underneath the bunk, and screw it to the bunk.

The only real reason to put some carpet on them, is to provide some capture to the ski. They are REAL slippery. REAL slippery.

I ran the ONE set from 1997-2008. I had to reinforce them a few times, as the bracing changed shape.

I love my rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    Ran them for years...solid plastic bunks. They do not scratch the hull, and if you keep them smooth, they do NOT pick up dirt and scratch your hull.

However, they will not support your ski without a brace in the middle. They will sag on the first use, and will only touch at the front/rear. All you need is a lightweight aluminum L-bracket that runs from front/rear underneath the bunk, and screw it to the bunk.

The only real reason to put some carpet on them, is to provide some capture to the ski. They are REAL slippery. REAL slippery.

I ran the ONE set from 1997-2008. I had to reinforce them a few times, as the bracing changed shape.

I love my rollers.
    yes, these would be applied on top of the current wood bunks.
    I have witness just how slippery they are ...

the rug bunks def etched the sh-t out of my black hull, sand etc...

Mark, are the roller bunks holding the weight evenly? any weird stresses on the hull in between rollers?

I love my rollers.
    How do you launch?

+1
    Andy, the rollers work great.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    How do you launch?
    I put the truck in reverse and the ski goes in the water. Is there a new way?

fyi guys. We have a trailer section on here, and all of this has been covered before... including the ever-wacky holding weight evenly question.

oops, Mods/admin please move this to the appropriate trailer section, thanks!

Andy, the rollers work great.

I put the truck in reverse and the ski goes in the water. Is there a new way?

fyi guys. We have a trailer section on here, and all of this has been covered before... including the ever-wacky holding weight evenly question.
    Yeah, yeah....yeah....hmph.

On all but the steepest ramps, I can undo the rear straps, disconect the bow eye strap, sit the ski and let someone back me down into the water.

You as well?

+1
    Nope. I always leave a safety chain on my skis when backing down a ramp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information