Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Setting oil injection

I had some trouble with my oil injection pump and I am pulling one from another ski I have. How do I set the cable correctly for the oil injection. On a Polaris they have a dot you line up at WOT.

+1
    There is a mark on the pump lever that needs to line up with a mark on the pump itself at idle.

Before hooking the cable onto the pump make sure the pump lever is rotated all the way until it is pushing on the spring.

The adjustment seems to be at the bracket on the carb, just like the throttle cable. Remember, on the '98 947s, if you change the idle, you have to index the oil pump.

By indexing I assume you mean setting the line on the arm with the mark on the pump again? Mine has more of a cam then an arm. Is there a mark on the cam?

+1
    Yes. Lever=arm=cam on those pumps. They all have the two lines that must line up (with tension on the spring) at idle.

Yes, index means to line them up.

Former 2 stroke hater!
    Junk that oil pump!!! Go premix, it will save your engine friend!! My boss runs a jetski repair shop, and we don't give warranty's on oil injected rebuilds! If you ever seen how that pump is driven you wouldn't be able to sleep!! It is driven by a plastic drive shaft that floats over the flywheel nut. Totally junk. If you premix, then you KNOW the engine is getting oil! I'll probably get hated on but as a jetski mechanic and 2 stroke ski owner its the only way I will trust that my engines will be healthy. In the last 2 weeks alone we have converted over 6 skis to premix!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by samsfiveo View Post
    Junk that oil pump!!! Go premix, it will save your engine friend!! My boss runs a jetski repair shop, and we don't give warranty's on oil injected rebuilds! If you ever seen how that pump is driven you wouldn't be able to sleep!! It is driven by a plastic drive shaft that floats over the flywheel nut. Totally junk. If you premix, then you KNOW the engine is getting oil! I'll probably get hated on but as a jetski mechanic and 2 stroke ski owner its the only way I will trust that my engines will be healthy. In the last 2 weeks alone we have converted over 6 skis to premix!
    Man, with shops out there like yours I am glad I can work on my own boats.

Hmmmm, nearly 500 combined hours on three 947s, all oil injected, and not even a single hiccup with the oil injection system, let alone a failure. But then, I maintain my engines, rather than just fix them when they break. Perhaps that has more to do with it than pre-mix.

But, hey, it is your opinion. I am sure that Chicken Little truly believed the sky was falling. But that does not mean that I will listen to him.

Former 2 stroke hater!
    Krunch...play the lottery, your hot!! (read lucky!!) I knew I would get haters for what I said! Not being chicken little, just removing one weak link. Like I said, your lucky. There are so many variables to go wrong with the injection system, the main one being the cheap plastic drive shaft, another is the tiny thin oil lines either splitting or clogging, or the cable, or the mix ratio, or the warning light not working, or......... I think its wonderful that you are so meticulous taking care of your ski, if there were more people like you, we would not have a job! BUT, I bet most people just take it out and as long as it starts they ride the p!ss out of it all day and then put it right back up, never servicing it. Also at least half of our customers who own the skis don't really do the majority of the riding, it's their kids who are on them most of the time and they appreciate the extra security knowing the engine is properly lubricated. I bet you don't carry a spare tire in your vehicle either, because as long as you keep the air pressure up....hey what could happen!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by samsfiveo View Post
    Krunch...play the lottery, your hot!! (read lucky!!) I knew I would get haters for what I said! Not being chicken little, just removing one weak link. Like I said, your lucky. There are so many variables to go wrong with the injection system, the main one being the cheap plastic drive shaft, another is the tiny thin oil lines either splitting or clogging, or the cable, or the mix ratio, or the warning light not working, or......... I think its wonderful that you are so meticulous taking care of your ski, if there were more people like you, we would not have a job! BUT, I bet most people just take it out and as long as it starts they ride the p!ss out of it all day and then put it right back up, never servicing it. Also at least half of our customers who own the skis don't really do the majority of the riding, it's their kids who are on them most of the time and they appreciate the extra security knowing the engine is properly lubricated. I bet you don't carry a spare tire in your vehicle either, because as long as you keep the air pressure up....hey what could happen!
    Sure, I have a spare for the car and on each trailer. But then, a tire carries 25-50% of the vehicle's weight (depending on the vehicle) over potentially hostile surfaces in occasionally extreme heat or cold.

I am not sure how that equates to an oil injection system unless you happen to store gravel and nails inside the hull as ballast.

Sure, there are lots of folks out there who own skis and can not change a light bulb, let alone work on the boat. The key point is that most all of them are not on here trying to learn how to do it.

I feel that it is irresponsible to condemn a system (and the oil injection just keeps coming up for discussion) out of hand when there is ample evidence to the contrary.

As for your no-maintenance, let the kids ride the boat customer, sure, tell them to pre-mix. Of course, if they can not remember to top off the oil tank I am not sure how you can rely on them to put oil in the gas.

The fact that they may never take the seat off should be a selling point for repeat business. Have them bring it in at least once a year to have stuff like oil lines (and yes, the lines ARE the only real weakness, I have never heard of a pump drive failing and in the end, line failure is a maintenance issue) and cables and filters and stuff checked along with the pump and winterizations and such.

There are reasons to pre-mix, but they mostly involve racing (on-off switch throttle) and significantly modified engines.

Perhaps I am lucky, but then luck is a product of preparation, perspiration, and diligence.

Former 2 stroke hater!
    I couldn't have said it better Captain!! Now we can move on!! Cheers friend.

Just so you all know I broke the pump housing, where the shaft goes into the housing. My friend and I hit bottom to bottom racing our skis and when we hit it broke the housing and bent the cam the cable runs on. I wouldnt say that was normal conditions. Luckily no damage to the skis or us. He turned right I turned left and the bottoms by the ride plates hit. It was very close. I replaced the pump and it worked great all weekend. I inspect my lines every year. The only issue I have is I wish they didnt get paint on the lines I like to see that the oil is flowing. I have had both engines apart and know how they are driven. I know premix is more dependable, but its nice to have something to do the work for you when you have to fill up along the way on the river or lake or something. Not to mention I take the fuel out every spring and run it in my truck and put fresh in the skis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information