Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

lost #3 oil line, compression good?

So on my 00 gp1200r, found a pool of oil in hull, tore apart and found the oil line popped off #3, yet I still have 115 lbs of compression on all 3 cylinders. I know it recently popped off, maybe 30 min or an hour like that I think. Did I just get lucky? Do I just fix the lines and keep riding? Thanks for any help!

+1
    Welcome to GH. No way that cylinder could have survived 1/2- 1 hour riding with no oil. It could have just popped off as you were done riding with any luck. How much oil we talking?

Not sure exactly how much, I noticed it with the trailer hooked on, so the ski was level, and dipped my finger in and it went to my first knuckle; I was guessing a half quart, what do you think?

I would pull that cylinder and take a look at the piston before I ran it anymore

+1
    that cylinder needs to be pulled for inspection.

+1
    You might consider going pre-mix. Do another compression test.Throttle wide open. Need to look at that cylinder and piston for damage.

Its better to burn out than fade away christian79's Avatar
    If you did not damage the cylinder or piston, you are a lucky man. Go get a lotto ticket quick Be sure to Zip, Clamp, Safety Wire, ...... the oil lines. Or just go premix. I run my boats premix BUT I got EVERY one of them cheap b/c of either major damage from loss of oil or fuel.

I am not pushing premix , the stock oil injection system has been good to me but it will burn me eventually

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies; but if I have cylinder/piston damage, wouldn't I have a compression issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason G View Post
    Thanks for the replies; but if I have cylinder/piston damage, wouldn't I have a compression issue?
    not necessarily. I've seen squeaked pistons with good compression.
    granted, the nikasil coated cylinders are strong, but a two stroke without lubrication is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Welcome to GH. No way that cylinder could have survived 1/2- 1 hour riding with no oil. It could have just popped off as you were done riding with any luck. How much oil we talking?
    +1 your motor would have locked up and stoped till it cooled down that is what happened to mine while riding you probally have oil and water mixed in the hull it just looks like a lot of oil because it is on the top mine looked the same way but it was a mix with water. It is worth takin the head off to look for damage before you ride again and you should run new lines or block off plate and premix gl with ski

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information