Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,145
    +1
    9

    Turbo water jacket :D

    As most of you that keep up with my build already know, I believe that heat control is the key to long-term reliability on the turbo setups. Well, I finally got around to building a water jacket for my turbo. Actually, one of my friends did all the welding, which was 75% of the work.

    The top half is stainless and the bottom half is aluminum, which is why they look different. There is not much rhyme or reason for this, except that we did the top half first before realizing that aluminum would be easier to work with.

    By the way, this will be the 2nd one like this. Somebody out there already did something very similar. You know who you are...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7170002.JPG 
Views:	1393 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	142028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7180005.JPG 
Views:	769 
Size:	688.4 KB 
ID:	142029  


  2. #2
    Ride Hard! aha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    2,009
    +1
    11
    That looks great Mike!! Does it help keep temps down without hurting performance?

  3. #3
    Richieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,001
    Need Heavy heat lagging imo. It keeps the gasses more mobile etc.

    Then the inside Iron part will not fracture through rapid un-even expansion.

    Just lag it like a woolie pullover, keep the heat going out the exhaust.

    Just my opinion, or $0.02

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,145
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    Need Heavy heat lagging imo. It keeps the gasses more mobile etc.

    Then the inside Iron part will not fracture through rapid un-even expansion.

    Just lag it like a woolie pullover, keep the heat going out the exhaust.

    Just my opinion, or $0.02
    Not sure what you mean by heat-lagging. Even though hot exhaust gas makes more power on a turbo, I really don't think the water jacket is going to have an appreciable effect on this. The gas spends about 2 nanoseconds in the scroll. Keep in mind that the Honda ski and marine turbo diesels have water passages built into the exhaust housing.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Ride Hard! aha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    2,009
    +1
    11
    Hey Mike, you should talk to Nils.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,145
    +1
    9
    Tested today and it kept engine bay temps much cooler. It worked great except I apparently need some higher temp water hose.

  7. #7
    JESUS G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    566
    +1
    154
    Hi Mike,

    I have a similar system, and that i can say you is that this cooling system work perfect, maybe is not very good for close course, but fr offshore or recreational use is perfect, almost you can´t feel the difference of power, and the lag plus is minimun.

    Best regards

    Jesús

  8. #8
    Richieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Not sure what you mean by heat-lagging. Even though hot exhaust gas makes more power on a turbo, I really don't think the water jacket is going to have an appreciable effect on this. The gas spends about 2 nanoseconds in the scroll. Keep in mind that the Honda ski and marine turbo diesels have water passages built into the exhaust housing.

    Mike

    Hi Mike, yea, sorry to sound ambiguous.

    I am not sure what you guys call it there. The stuff I am thinking of is sometimes called heat-wrap. The sort of tape/band you wrap headers with on exhausts.

    I was thinking along the lines of being bound/wrapped from header to exhaust.

    The logic I was applying was keeping the heat in all the way, including after the turbine. Then eliminating the possibility of expansion stress to the jacket, by instead, a simple Big Woolie on it. Almost like the bonnets you put on them normally, but in a hidden under the sheets type of set-up. Eliminate the radiated heat etc from under the seat area that way.

    Richie.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gonzales, La
    Posts
    2,145
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Richieb View Post
    I am not sure what you guys call it there. The stuff I am thinking of is sometimes called heat-wrap. The sort of tape/band you wrap headers with on exhausts.

    I was thinking along the lines of being bound/wrapped from header to exhaust.

    The logic I was applying was keeping the heat in all the way, including after the turbine. Then eliminating the possibility of expansion stress to the jacket, by instead, a simple Big Woolie on it. Almost like the bonnets you put on them normally, but in a hidden under the sheets type of set-up. Eliminate the radiated heat etc from under the seat area that way.
    I had it that way and it generates too much heat in the engine bay. All the factory marine stuff (even the turbo Hondas) have fully water jacketed exhaust and turbine housings. Several folks have melted parts in the engine bay while using insulation rather than water jackets.

  10. #10
    rxpdoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trinity, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,998
    +1
    123

    turbo lag

    Quote Originally Posted by JESUSSEADOO View Post
    Hi Mike,

    I have a similar system, and that i can say you is that this cooling system work perfect, maybe is not very good for close course, but fr offshore or recreational use is perfect, almost you can´t feel the difference of power, and the lag plus is minimun.

    Best regards

    Jesús

    water routing or even jetting at the barb at the watercooled turbine housing might even decrease the turbo lag further.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS Turbo gt3076 with water jacket cold piping
    By Palm Beach Punisher in forum Conversion Skis Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
  2. FS rxp turbo header gprxp water jacket
    By El daddy in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  3. Water Jacketed Turbo's.
    By Gunna in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 06:00 PM
  4. WTB turbo pipes (water jacketed)inc oil in and out + block off and turbo for 05 gtx
    By jetskibill9999 in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
  5. turbo water jacket?
    By baba850r in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •