'93 sl 750 help please

I've been reading and searching this forum for the past few weeks and you guys are awesome! I'm stuck and about ready to give up on my newly acquired '93 sl. So on to my problem.

The day I got it I took it out to the lake and it fired right up so I jumped on and got out of the no wake zone and gave it some more throttle and it just bogs down after about half throttle? So I head back to load it up. Get it loaded pull the seat off and it's half full of water?

I brought it home and searched this forum and decided to replace all the fuel lines(yes I added a restrictor) , bypass the fuel selector, replace the fuel pump with a triple outlet, Pulled the carbs off to rebuild but they looked almost brand new so I just cleaned everything up and re-installed and also blocked off the oil injection pump and switched to pre mix.

I thought this would fix my problem but I took it out yesterday to give it a shot and also to see where the water was coming from and it still does the same thing......Get to about half throttle and any more then that it bogs down like it's out of gas. Before I loaded it back up I checked to see where water was getting in and found that on the exhaust side of the motor there was water dripping from the bottom of one of the gaskets so I'm hoping it a fairly simple fix....Could this have anything to do with the motor bogging down after half throttle or do I have 2 separate problems?

Any help on where to go next would be appreciated. I'm hoping the carbs just need adjusted but I could be wrong so I need some advice from the pros first.
    Is the'93 supposed to have a fuel return restrictor? It didn't have one when I got it and the manual I have doesn't show it in the '93 but it shows it in the '94?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Just noticed your post - busy season around here

You do need to fix that water leak, which may or may not affect the other problems.

Click the links below, if you haven't already

The internal filters an the carbs must be checked. If they are not clean, you will not be able to get the motor running properly.

Thanks for the reply.
    I tore it apart the other day and found all 3 "base" gaskets were blown. So all three were leaking water into the hull and 1 was blown in 2 different places so water was leaking into the hull and into the cylinder which I'm sure it was sucking air to! My gasket set will be here monday so I'm hoping that will fix all my problems.

All this raised another question.....How could it blow all 3 gaskets? How much pressure actually pumps through the cylinders? I wondered if something was plugged like the thermostat so I'm getting rid of everything and putting a pisser setup on it. Is this a wise decision? Do I just plug off the hose barb on the exhaust?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rmkrider1 View Post
    ...How much pressure actually pumps through the cylinders?

I wondered if something was plugged like the thermostat so I'm getting rid of everything and putting a pisser setup on it. Is this a wise decision?

Do I just plug off the hose barb on the exhaust?
    We were just discussing this in another thread
    Cooling water pressure is something like 30-60PSI at maximum throttle.

The gaskets are designed to handle the peak water pressure, so something else caused them to fail.

Be careful when changing the water cooling - there is a water injection orifice into the exhaust system, and it must be kept operational. It sprays water into the exhaust gases and cools the exhaust enough to keep the rubber hoses from melting.

So would I just tee off of one the lines before they exit out the back and run it to the exhaust? There looks to be 2 places on the exhaust that have cooling water hooked to them so which one do I need to hook back up? Both?

I've searched and read every pisser thread I could find and can't figure out what do do with the exhaust

Thread Information