Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry new SHO Check your back seat !!!!

New SHO owners check the staples under your back seat holding the seat cover, after a few times riding my new SHO i noticied bunch of deep scratches on the side of the ski by the back seat after looking around i found out it's the staples sticking out too much and scratching the hell out of my brand new SHO!

I stated that back in Feb 08 but not that bad, dam. I have 2 on the aft end just before the turn up on the front seat... PULLed them out.

+1
    Same thing happened to me after having my seat cover installed. I cut some small strips of turf to cover the staples on the front section of the seat to prevent it from happening again...still have to fix the scratches though.

I'm thinking of using silicone to cover them up , but like you said i still have to fix the scratches and i really hope yamaha is gonna do something for me cause they are pretty deep !

+1
    You need to some 2000 grit wet/dry 3M sandpaper, and a Porter Cable random orbital buffer. Those scrates will wwt sand right out. Then you just have to shine the finish back up with the buffer.
    Last edited by hitman; 07-21-2009 at 01:51 PM.

u serious hitman ? You want me to wet sand it ? how is it not gonna kill my clearcoat ? I'll try it on a small area first you're scaring me lol !

+1
    See if Yamaha will fix it first under warranty. If not, then yes, wetsanding will get rid of most of it, depending on how deep the scratches are.

Dip the sand paper in cold water with maybe just a tiny bit of car wash soap in it. Use only your fingers and gently rub over one of the scratches. As long as the surface stays wet, as you're sanding, you will start to see the scratch dissappear. Then when the water dries off it, the paint will be dull and flat. You will have to use a medium cut rubbing compound on a foam buffer pad to shine it back up, and then use a polishing compound to remove the micromarring left behind by the medium cut compound.

Have you ever buffed/detaild paint before? Do you have all the supplies?

could borrow some tools i'm used to it but never on black, just scared of seeing a flat surface after, i'll see what yamaha says about it first.
    thanks hitman.

+1
    Black is actually really easily matched & buffed out if the scratches are deeper than the clearcoat. If it requires paint don't use brush on touchup paint...it's a PITA to blend it in. A little automotive universal black spray will do fine. Also, if you're working under flourescent light don't freak out if the paint looks a little brown when it first dries...it will match right up after it's sanded & buffed. A trick that works well while wetsanding is to add some soap to the water. A sanding block will also help you apply even pressure to the area you're sanding. I use 7" 3M polishing pads on a sander/polisher for larger areas, but for touchup work 3M makes a scratch removal kit that comes with small compounding & polishing pads that work with an included drill attachment. I have seen it at Autozone & several other autoparts stores for $20. Hope Yamaha covers it, but if they don't you'll have a new skill for the the inevitable scratches in the future. If you're nervous practice on the underside of the hull first.

Mine had the exact same thing. I thought the dealer did it. I bought mine 200 miles away and didnt see them till I got home. And there is no way to sand them out it will have to be repainted. Im going to cut out some black vinyl and cover mine up. Im going to do it on both sides so it matches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information