Thread: Help Please

Question Help Please

Hey everyone, Iím having trouble. I have a 01 1200XLT with 175hrs on it. Completely stock (except for cat delete D plate with chip) bought last year from an elderly gentleman who kept it in pristine shape. Here is what i experience: sometimes i can ride all day without problems going slow or maxed out. Some days i will experience this: after warming the ski up ill start to drive it, it will pick up the nose go to about 8-12mph and start revving to full RPM's without changing speed, its like loosing traction with a car. It keeps going only to 8-12 mph and will not accelerate any further no matter what you do. I have to shut it off, restart say 5 seconds later and it will go again like nothing ever happened to full 55-60mph. And this happens completely at random and inconsistently. I just don't get it. Please help. Thanks for reading and posting.

+1
    Welcome to GH. First thing that came to me was stripped splines in the shaft. I dont understand why it doesnt do it all the time. Are you riding in contaminated water,like weeds,sticks,leaves etc...? If so,you could easily have got something stuck in the pump area.

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Welcome to GH. First thing that came to me was stripped splines in the shaft. I dont understand why it doesnt do it all the time. Are you riding in contaminated water,like weeds,sticks,leaves etc...? If so,you could easily have got something stuck in the pump area.
    That's what I thought too, but once the splines go, I would think they're gone... Do your rpm's max out at 7000 rpms? Or closer to 5000? Wonder if the powervalves are not opening (intermittent servo) just a random guess...

Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    you know what,. you might be right about the weeds,. i did go into shore for a few and then got back on it when it happened. Bay area with a ton of weeds.

Can you please explain to me how the weeds cause this problem? thanks a lot, you guys are awesome !

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eurokidlt View Post
    you know what,. you might be right about the weeds,. i did go into shore for a few and then got back on it when it happened. Bay area with a ton of weeds.

Can you please explain to me how the weeds cause this problem? thanks a lot, you guys are awesome !
    WOW woody, you are amazing

Thread Information