Thread: New to the game

New to the game

Hows it goin everyone, im new to the forum and plan on gettin my first ski this weekend, but need some advice. ive been ridin for a while but have never had my own ski. im in miami florida and in the city north of mine theres a guy sellin a 1995 waveraider 1100, it has 130 original hours on the hull and the motor was totally rebuilt at 110 hours, like i said im a rookie so i dont know much about the mechanics but i do know how to ride. so i need advice as what to look for when buying a used ski, he tells me it was rebuilt and in the process bored it out a little over 1200 cc's, he said it has some kind of stainless steel impellar and upgraded pistons and a few more things i cant remember, he says it starts right up and runs just fine..he was asking 1500 but i got him down to 1100 with the trailer, the outside of the ski is in better than decent condition with a little fading but not too bad, is it worth it, what should i look for so im not getting committed to something im gonna regret? thanks alot guys

anyone help out??

Welcome to the forum,personally,i would take someone with you when buying a ski if you dont know too much about them.You need to do a compression test and take it for a test ride before you part with your cash.I have no idea on your budget but i would save and get a GPR,I'm not biased in any way whatsoever,i just think you should join the club .

lol i am definately very open minded but one thing is the budget...not a penny over 1500...but yeah so how would i got about doing a compression test what is needed? and lets suppose i cant take anyone more knowledgeable than i am....then what??

Btw,the vast majority of people on here have committed to things that they should regret but we dont because we love it,it's an addiction!You will need a compression tester for a start,preferably a good one,remove plug wires,earth them,then remove one spark plug at a time,replacing it with the gauge each time ,then crank the ski with the throttle fully open,this will give you a reading on the gauge.I dont know what the readings should be but i'm sure someone will chime in.Be patient when starting threads,you will always get a reply with really good info and search search search,i did.

yeah i dont even know where i could get a compression tester or rent one... but yeah ive been searching my ass off...but definately just want my first ski to be halfway reliable...the more help and advice i can get the better..but thanks man already a great help

Thread Information