2001 virage tx help

i have a 01 virage tx. i replaced the fuel lines and cleaned the carbs. i noticed running on the hose the mag cylinder is cold, center warm/hot, pto warm (im guessing about what it should be). never so hot that it burned me but there is a big difference between the mag and center. it was the same before i replaced the lines. compression is 138 to 140 betwen all three cylinders. thank you jim

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the Hulk.

Sounds like lack of spark or lack of fuel. After you run it on the hose, pull the plugs right away. Keep them in order so you know which cylinder each plug came from. What does the Mag plug look like? Wet? Dry? Does it look different than the others that you think are firing?

If it's dry, sounds like you might have a fuel delivery problem (carb?).

If it's wet, it sounds like you might have a spark problem. If all went well with the carb rebuild, I'm guessing this is your culprit. Did you confirm you have spark at the Mag cylinder? One of those cheesy in-line spark plug checkers can be handy here. Make sure the plug is good too (replace it if you can - I just found this out the hard way! Assumed my plugs were good and ended up finding a bad one.).

If you don't have the spark plug tester, check the resistance in the plug wire, check the coil resistance (both primary and secondary sides to see if they are within spec), and replace the spark plug.

Let us know what you find.

the mag plug is wet. i didnt even think to check the plug (they are new.) it does appear to be the plug, it sparks but very weak. i switched the plug with the center and the same plug fired weak. i am doing this by grounding the plug and watching the spark. i will change the plugs today and hopefully that will solve my problems. thank you way2much2do.

Hey Jim,

I sure hope that's your problem. If so, glad I could help. Like I said, I just did the same thing....assumed my plugs were good, and you know what happens when you assume. Ha! The plugs for my machine are $10/each, so part of my reluctance to change them was my cheapness!!!!! That's what I get.

Keep us posted. If that's not it, let us know and we'll keep trying.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtb5351 View Post
    ...running on the hose the mag cylinder is cold, center warm/hot, pto warm (im guessing about what it should be). never so hot that it burned me but there is a big difference between the mag and center...
    If you are using the reverse flush connection to the water manifold bar, it is normal for the cylinders to not be evenly cooled. The reverse water flow is not consistent between cylinders.

Normally the MAG cylinder gets the least water flow, and runs hottest on the hose. When riding on the water, all cylinders should be close in temperature.

i started it without the hose and they are all close to the same temp. when running on the hose the center and pto cylinder warm up the mag cylinder is cold to the touch. i found another thread where somebody had the same thing. thank you for your help. i am hopeing to put it in the water this weekend. fineally.

Thread Information