Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: please help !!

please help !!

I have a 97 1050sltx with a hot seat pump head . It was running fine for the first part of the season and now it cuts out when brought to WOT . I noticed that the center carb is the only one that gives a spray of fuel when throttle is given when not running . I changed the grey lines over to a clear except for on the carb itself . When I pulled the main line off the carbs ( short "t" ) I had good pressure . Do i I need to change the small gray lines on the carbs also ? And what are the correct settings for the carbs ?
    Any help would be appreciated .
    Rick

+1
    Did you run it after replacing the fuel hoses,before you checked the accel pump?
    I beleive there is a chech valve (ball bearing) at the accel nozzles,they may be stuck.
    Are you asking about replacing the very thin hoses ? They should be OK
    Have you checked the inside of the carbs,to make sure the screens are not plugged.

Stock setting for the low screws is 1 turn out.
    Because you have different heads you should adjust according to piston wash,to avoid being too lean.

Smile

I will start with the acc pump , when it was running decent I could only get about 5600 rpm and 46 mph out of it . I am guessing that the check may be stuck . I will start there , I am not sure what this ski should run for top speed and rpm .( I saw somewhere that it should operate about 6400rpm ) I unfortunetly have not had too much seat time on the ski , The kids like it because it is so stable so they use it more than the slx .
    Thank you for your help .

+1
    Yes it should run 6400-6500 rpm,you have another problem other than the accel pump.
    The check valve I think is at the nozzles,1 at each carb,this the only thing I can think of for just 1 to spray fuel. This will not cause the low rpm's.
    Do a compression test,let us know what you find.

compression is good across all three . 145 mag/ 143 center / 147 pto . I did not get a chance to look into the check valves yet . I should get a chance this weekend , I am also goint to trim back the plug wires to see if I get better spark . It seems a little weak to me . ( I am compareing it to my slx ) I replaced them with another set but never trimed them back . I will let you know how it goes . I will say this though , just by replaceing the fuel lines it starts a lot easier ! Plugs look good , just a matter of getting time to look into what you have suggested . Thanks for your help .

+1
    You're on the right track. Just ensure the fuel system, lines, carbs, pumps etc.. are all good. The check valves on the fuel lines are easily missed by alot of people, so make sure they are good like mentioned above.

Compression sounds fine, and sounds like your checking electrical good.

Those three things and you shouldnt have any problems.

I just orderd the rebuild kits for the carbs , is there a seperate kit for the acc pump? Hopefully I can get the parts and get this old girl singing by the end of the weekend. Could it also be the vent for the tank , I had alot of pressure when i pulled the main fuel line off the carb rail?
    Thanks again ,
    Rick

+1
    Yes, accelerator pump is seperate.

Yes, it could be the fuel line vents. if they are stuck, when the engine is running it can eventually create a vaccuum in the fuel cell and starve the pumps for fuel. This can be very hard to diagnose without just checking them cause the ski will run great for awhile after the fuel cap is opened, then run like crap after time.

one vent allows air in, the other is supposed to release built up pressure from expanding gas vapors. I believe they should operate in the 2 psi range, but that's just off the top of my head.

Always remove the filler cap to the tank before working on fuel system. this will save some burning eyeballs someday

We've come accross problems with the check valve in the body of the Keihin carbs failing.
    This can't be fixed. We had to buy new carbs.

In one case on a Kawi we removed the accel pump and fitted bigger Pilot & Main jet to compensate.

I got a new carb set on the way at this point . I also have a rebuild kit here now , I am thinking I would install new carbs and rebuild the ones on it for next year . Always good to have spare parts for the toys !!! Also I have a chance to get a stator and throttle cable complete with handle for 140 bucks . Looks good and seller says it is from a running ski ? Any comments if this is a good deal?
    Thanks ,
    Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information