wont start 2002 virage HeLP !!!!

I was running fine across the lake and the engine just stopped. I then ran the battery down after repeated starting tries. I finally got someone to pull us in after about 3 hours. I pulled carb off and found a screw out on the needle valve side of carb. replaced the screw and was able to get gas flow again. I charged the battery and i have good voltage and cranking speed. I pulled plugs out left connected to the wire grounded the plug but dont appear to have spark. but the manual says you may not get spark when plug is not in cylinder. The reset button on the side of coil box is in the in position and is white. Is ther any other fuses or circuit breakers I need to check? what are your suggestions.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    Boulder City, NV
    How many threads do you need to start for the same problem?

sorry but today is my only chance for quite awhile and was hoping I could get help today. After I saw thw posts after answered I thought maybe I did something wrong

You must have 10.4 volts while cranking measured at the battery with a meter.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    You must have 10.4 volts while cranking measured at the battery with a meter.
    Thanx for the info.
    I have 10.9 volts.while cranking. Any other Ideas?

more troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by dridog1958 View Post
    Thanx for the info.
    I have 10.9 volts.while cranking. Any other Ideas?
    Ok i installed a new battery and have over 11.3 volts when cranking on display meter, but after checking the manual when I check across the red purple wire to the orange wire I get less than 1 volt when cranking. What does that tell me?

You need to have the black meter lead on ground and the red to re/purp wire,needs to be above 10.5 when cranking. (the red/pur powers th CDI)

The ground to orange wire (powers stuff while running) ,it should turn on when cranking,also 10.5 volts or higher. Some models have the CDI powered on this wire

2002 virage

Thanx Casey I will check that. Heres what is really wierd. I tried to start it later in the day and after cranking it for about 15 seconds it fired up. I then restarted it several times with no problem. Yesterday I tried to fire it up and it turned over fine but did not hit a lick. Any other ideas.

Thread Information