94 750 sl problem, please help!

Hello, I have a 94 750sl. I took it out for the first time, and it ran great for the first 1/2 hour or so. I drove it in to pick up one of my kids, and I realized I was in shallower water than I expected. I heard a rock or something sounded like it got into the grate of the impellor. I immediately shut it off. I went and grabbed my son, and we got onto the jet ski, started it, and when I pushed the throttle to accelerate, according to the MFD, I only was at 5mph, yet I had 6000 RPMs. I flipped the ski over and the intake was clean. I tried it several more times, and still more of the same. I am thinking it is something in the propulsion area, as opposed to a engine problem, but obviously I am not a pro. when I spin the drive shaft, I can feel the compression of the motor, and the propellor seems in good shape and still turns with the drive shaft. Is the coupler bad? Anyone have any ideas, please help me! I live in Minnesota and time is running out! thanks in advance.

upon further review, I think this may be a cavitation issue? it looks like the shaft for the impeller is slightly discolored, according to the service manual is an indicator that there is a leak of some kind?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If it sounded like you picked up a rock, you may have damaged the stator blades, stub shaft, or splines. Either on the driveshaft, impeller or engine coupler.

Removal of the pump should help find the problem. Cavitation is possible too.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Was riding with some buddies this weekend and 2 guys hit a rock bar, like a sand bar but rocks, in the MIDDLE of the frickin' river! The rxp would only go 25ish, (normal 70mph) Had 2 rocks stuck between blades on impeller. We got them out after alot of work Ski lost about 5 mph. just from this grindage.
    So, just a coupla rocks can really affect performance, more than I thought. So, look for rocks in there. They can hide!

thanks for the advice guys, I put a vice grips on the shaft and wasn't able to move either the spline, or the prop, but I haven't taken it entirely apart. one thing I failed to mention, was the intake grate had broken and it was hanging there by the mounting bolt, dangling. I am hoping that the bolt had just opened the hole to the hull just enough to cause it to cavitate? With the wife and kids gone over the next few days, I will have some time to take it apart. thanks again.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Grate just hanging there and such can cause cavitation. Get a new grate, for safety reasons, R&D 650 is a good one if you ride in chop. Stockers available from Jon Zigler or e-bay for cheap.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like you hit something or picked up a big rock to break a grate.

Check your impeller blades and stator fins for damage.

Thread Information