digger

Help 1050sltx .Im still looking for a new or used cdi and coil for a 1996 sltx 1050

Thanx for listening...I have a 1996 sltx.The red engine was totally rebuilt by a polaris dealer.all back to stock.After doing the breakin last summer there was always a bog in the acceleratin from 2100-4000 rpm...Top speed is 58.If you fluttered the throttle thru the bog no prob.If you didnt it would quickly stall even bog.I had a bad float and jumped the wire,I also replaced the brand new fP diaphrams just in case.This year I started it and ran it once it did the same thing.Last week i replaced the tempo lines with 1/4 inch black fuel lines.At that time i bypassed the shut off,Also i noticed that vent was fine but there showed a piece in my manaul that was missing..a beleave it is a pressure relief valve it showed it on the fuel line assembly above the tank.After the line swithch it fired up in seconds.I took it out and the bog was vertually gone.I booted 2 miles up the lake and then it started bogging again.(Comp 152 152 152)Plugs light tan...It stalled and was hard to restart,I choked it and then i got it started while fluddering the throttle.I again rode back at full throttle to the dock.when slowing down to dock it stalled numerous times...At the dock i checked the engine..Cyl closest to front was to hot to keep hand on foe 4 sec..The middle was hot but i could hold it the last was just warm.I started the moter after 10 min sitting it idled at 1250 slightly lumpy like it always had.I pulled off the pug wire closest to the front...There was a noticible drop in rpm,then i took only the mid one off same rpm drop..Then the last ,barly notice a drop may 50rpm.I can idle the engine on the frt single cyl giving it gas,as well as the mid cyl.But the last one closest to the back i cant even get it to fire by itself.The plug reads light brown ,comp is 152 across,I see the fuel squirting in,I got zapped by the plug and i here the spark a 1/4 inch from the boot to the plug head...I forgot to mention i removed the pop off and found a tiny pebble,the grommet holding it is torn.I removed the thermo entirly just temporarily till i get one..cly are running all consit and warm to touch..So here i am I Think i need to buy a Stock CDI and a Stock Ignition coil with wires..If you have any input id like some help.thank u for reading my post jim [email protected] london ontario canada

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    Look up contact here on greenhulk, he goes by prochamp. he has whole update kit. otherwise you go to google and type in parkeryamaha.com, they are authorized dealer for all skis and they gave me best price on my update kit for my 96 sltx.

digger
    do i have to run the update kit.It says it does not inc.the coil.If i get a stock one and a coil could i not just run that.What is the reason they have this updated version

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    Supposedly it covers more models and has improved throttle resonse and higher spark ( I couldn't really tell the difference). Yes you can run the stock (I also forgot the update kit for the SLTX doesn't come with the the Coil) but several others have posted in past that alot stators fail on these model years polaris.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96sltx1050 View Post
    Supposedly it covers more models and has improved throttle response and higher spark...several others have posted in past that a lot stators fail on these model years Polaris.
    Quote Originally Posted by 96sltx1050 View Post
    Look up contact here on greenhulk, he goes by prochamp...
    The primary purpose of the Ignition System Update Kit was to improve reliability. The original ignition systems tended to fail over time.

The Updated CDI requires the Updated Stator, and vice-versa.

Only the two cylinder update kits included the ignition coils. The original domestic engine three cylinder coils were reliable enough to be re-used.

Prochamp is currently in the doghouse around here;
    Prochamp (Trent), Performance Motorsports, Garrett, Indiana

Have a look here;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

And here;
    Once you install the ignition update kit, you must use 2000 and later Service Manual specs when diagnosing the ignition system and stator coils.
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

digger
    thax for that info. So im currently looking for a stock cdi for the quick fix with a ignition coil pack and wires .Or a full update kit with a new or used coil.If theres a way to spread the word great.i dont have enough posts to post in the classifies yet.I tried to deal with the [email protected] he is a forom member but I sorry to say I rubbed him the wrong way.He said he has all the parts,His prices are good,He takes visa and offered to ship ground.Summer is blasting by and i got 4 kids and a sltx anchor.I ask if he could ship air fedex,then foolishly asked for no insurance and no invoice included.He has now wrote me off.My reasons for asking this was simple.200 us for parts=260.00 can plus 90us air=380.00can The there is duty if there is a value so tac on another 150 plus then ups/fedex have a bs broakerge fee 59 us..so 600 later.. i offered to send my own courior at my expence to his business he said [email protected] owner Im sorry if I offended you.
    So here i am i need a cdi/coil with wires or a updete cdi kit and coil withwires thax

Thread Information