Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bought a helmet

+1

Bought a helmet

Couple of my friends have taken some falls were the ski knocked them either in the face or in the head. An since I have reached the point in my schooling career were I cant sacrifice my noodle I went an ordered A FLY Racing helmet yesterday. Im not that big into helmets on skis but I have been riding alotta rough water the past two year.Does anyone here actually wear a helmet, an what does it feel like on the the water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xplayer2885 View Post
    Couple of my friends have taken some falls were the ski knocked them either in the face or in the head. An since I have reached the point in my schooling career were I cant sacrifice my noodle I went an ordered A FLY Racing helmet yesterday. Im not that big into helmets on skis but I have been riding alotta rough water the past two year.Does anyone here actually wear a helmet, an what does it feel like on the the water
    I saw someone wearing a bike helmet. My first instinct was laughter but in reality "better safe than sorry".

I have a dirtbike helmet I wear in the surf. The one day I didn't wear it was the one day I ate the bars after a nasty wave. knocked my gums back to the very top of the tooth that is normally covered by gums. Blood was everywhere. Pretty day over at that point.

The only concern is "bucketing" which is the sudden deceleration that can occur when you fall of at speed and the helmet act as a bucket and slows you down too fast.

The help with that it is better to get a snug fitting helmet and you may want to remove any visor or weaken it so if wreck it tears off instead of increasing the bucketing effect.

I have only fallen off a couple of times in the surf, but never have I experienced the bucketing personally.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by qbzonk View Post
    I have a dirtbike helmet I wear in the surf. The one day I didn't wear it was the one day I ate the bars after a nasty wave. knocked my gums back to the very top of the tooth that is normally covered by gums. Blood was everywhere. Pretty day over at that point.

The only concern is "bucketing" which is the sudden deceleration that can occur when you fall of at speed and the helmet act as a bucket and slows you down too fast.

The help with that it is better to get a snug fitting helmet and you may want to remove any visor or weaken it so if wreck it tears off instead of increasing the bucketing effect.

I have only fallen off a couple of times in the surf, but never have I experienced the bucketing personally.
    Yup I made sure to get a good snugg fit. Helmet was only orded cuz I didnt want brighte red.lol Your rite on the removal of the visor, I was told this prior to purchasing. Sorry about your mouth dude. Im gonna be starting dental school soon, so hearing you say what happined to you makes me cringe!!!!!

+1
    I wear one when I go out on a lake, especially if it's choppy.

I should just wear one all the time.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    This one keeps me safe.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    A couple of considerations on a helmet,A tight fit is important,a removable liner so it can dry out completely between rides(the fly helmet does this),and forget a visor. You don't wear one without a helmet,so don't with,anything that can catch the water(bucketing) can cause extra damage to the spine. Just isn't worth the risk. I will be picking one up real soon.The higher speeds I'll be running this year,will make it needed under some conditions.

+1
    This one works well also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I wear one all the time, I had a friend get "knocked out" in some waves and if he didn't have the helmet on, he may have drowned by the time we figured out he was in trouble. The helmet keeps your head buoyant like a vest. Just like riding an ATV once you get used to it. Make sure the liner is removable or it will stink like mould.

+1
    Dave, the liner is removable I made sure of that. I think im only gonna be wearing it when its super rough in the bay area an deffinatly when im out surf riding with out a doubt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information