Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Sponson characteristics: R&D and Riva

As I value this site and the information within tremendously, anyone have either of these sponsons? ....and would greatly appreciate any thoughts about them? Looking to add a set to my FZR. Yes, I want to feel like I'm on rails.

....or can I not go wrong with either?

Gary

^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar
    I have yet to change the sponsons but I definitely have that "rails" feeling you are wanting to find by adding skegs. The turning is insane and if you aren't ready for it, will simply throw you off. After racing tunnel hull boats, its very similar in cranking out the G's in a turn.

The big benefit I found was the straightline stability in the rough. Even when going over another boat's wake... the ski does not hunt for a line, it just cuts right thru.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    As I value this site and the information within tremendously, anyone have either of these sponsons? ....and would greatly appreciate any thoughts about them? Looking to add a set to my FZR. Yes, I want to feel like I'm on rails.

....or can I not go wrong with either?

Gary
    I have the RIVA"S on my FZS. No problems. both types work the same. The R&D are longer and heavier but the result is the same

Quote Originally Posted by pituco View Post
    I have the RIVA"S on my FZS. No problems. both types work the same. The R&D are longer and heavier but the result is the same

+1, I have yet to see anything that would make me replace my Riva Sponsons with RD's. Not that RD's are bad, but because there is no sense in paying for a second set of sponsons that are so close in performance. As a bonus, Riva's cost less..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    +1, I have yet to see anything that would make me replace my Riva Sponsons with RD's. Not that RD's are bad, but because there is no sense in paying for a second set of sponsons that are so close in performance. As a bonus, Riva's cost less..
    Good info, was wondering myself. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    Good info, was wondering myself. Thanks guys!
    That makes three of us.. Thanks for the good info. Riva will work for me..
    Thanks guys!!!

+1
    Thanks for the responses.
    I'm also relieved to see other people had the same curiosity. I feel a little intimidated with the wealth of knowledge here and the fear of asking a question that has been asked a thousand times even though you did use the "search" button for hours without success. I've been lurking for a year and half and finally got my FZR 2 weeks ago. So I'm trying to use my "thread starts" carefully all the while using the ever so informative "search" button.

This is a great fricken' site!

Gary

+1

TBM Race Sponsons

I have used the sponsons noted above in closed course racing, offshore racing rec riding. I prefer the TBM Tunable Sponsons as they offer the most aggressive & configurable sponsons on the market for the FZR (my opinion). 12 different positions to adjust to (4 positions forward and back & 3 positions up and down). So if you want to have sharp turns like your on rails, you can do that...if you want OFFSHORE riding, you can tune them EXACTLY to your liking. And that is key. Racing. etc. The quality is top notch. In terms of weight they are a bit heavier than the RIVA sponsons, but lighter than the R&D Sponsons.

Same holds true with the TBM Intake Grate (8 adjustable positions). It is the "Lord of the Rings" for aftermarket handling products for the FZR...1 Ring to Rule them all.

www.tbmracing.com

click to enlarge

+1
    I have used both on my SHO & IMO Riva's are a reused design that doesn't work well on the new larger skis. They just took the same blade & backing plate design from the GPR sponson and moved the holes so they line up correctly with the hull. The R&D sponsons work awesome for the type of riding I do...either offshore where straight line stability is key or in twisty rivers where it's one tight turn after another. Riva's did not do either well. They are horrible in the rough because you lose a lot of stability with the tiny backing plate & when set full aggressive on the SHO they make the bow stuff & hook in tight turns on flat water which scrubs a lot of speed. They did handle turns MUCH better on SHO's I've ridden with Jim's plate...since the plate loosened up the rear end a bit it stopped the hooking issue I experienced with the stock plate.

Now that I've bashed them, I've got a set of Riva's for sale cheap if anyone wants to try them...maybe they'll work better on the FZ. $150 shipped in the US. Sale Pending

Quote Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
    I have yet to change the sponsons but I definitely have that "rails" feeling you are wanting to find by adding skegs. The turning is insane and if you aren't ready for it, will simply throw you off. After racing tunnel hull boats, its very similar in cranking out the G's in a turn.

The big benefit I found was the straightline stability in the rough. Even when going over another boat's wake... the ski does not hunt for a line, it just cuts right thru.

Nice work Tango and can ya tell us did u see any gains in speed or is just more of a handling mod. not intented to high jack the thread just a quick question, and to add to the thread R&D sponsons really work well and the Riva 5 hole (sea doo) sponsons are working well too

never mind Tango missed your original thread so got my answer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information