Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intake Grates?

Question Intake Grates?

Hey everyone, i need advice. Im looking to upgrade my 1200XLT intake Grate, but i keep hearing things like loosing top speed and non direct fit installation. SO, question is this, from your experiences, which should i go with: Riva Racing SUV $107, R&D AQUEVEIN INTAKE GRATE
    112-12001 for $101, OR WORX INTAKE GRATE WR216 for $164.95? Don't really care about price difference, im looking for increase or maintain top speed (not loose any), good hook up in choppy water, and direct fit replacement.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Moderated
    what you lose in top end you make up for well and truely with hookup

they are all good grates but riva and r&d seem to be everyone favs on gpr's...cant comment on the xlt's but it would be much the same i imagine.

worx are also good, generally considered the best rough water grates around , at least in some circles (single bar r&d excluded)

maybe jim will chip in as he just shoved a big bore in his wifes xlt and he will know for sure.

I don't know for your specific XLT application, but Worx is generally known for the best rough water hookup with minimal top speed loss, and thats all I run on my skis. R&D is known for maximum hookup, and Riva for lil top speed lost over stock. Every ski is going to be different though. Maybe some people can chime in that owns your ski.

+1
    welcome to the forum

thanks for the input, ill order r&d today.

I have the R&D on my xlt here is a picture of it pm Jim at Jims performance he has a used r&d grate for sale for the xlt Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1360.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	440.6 KB 
ID:	142416

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1361.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	737.9 KB 
ID:	142417

I've got the same question for my XL1200Ltd (more or less early XLT shape), but I'm worried about picking up rocks and other debris when I get close to the beach. The stock grate does have a smaller area for stones etc. to get into the impeller. Our problem is the way the beach shelves and dips, and it's not always obvious where the shallow water is (sometimes I've hit a sand and gravel bank more than 100 yards out!). Which grate offers the best hook-up, but still gives some protection against the above? Sorry to jump in on this thread, and also for complicating the issue, but our dealers (stealers) are more interested in selling us a piece of kit, than whether it's right for the job! Cheers DaveW.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pauladave View Post
    I've got the same question for my XL1200Ltd (more or less early XLT shape), but I'm worried about picking up rocks and other debris when I get close to the beach. The stock grate does have a smaller area for stones etc. to get into the impeller. Our problem is the way the beach shelves and dips, and it's not always obvious where the shallow water is (sometimes I've hit a sand and gravel bank more than 100 yards out!). Which grate offers the best hook-up, but still gives some protection against the above? Sorry to jump in on this thread, and also for complicating the issue, but our dealers (stealers) are more interested in selling us a piece of kit, than whether it's right for the job! Cheers DaveW.
    they all kinda look the same and do the same job and will only stop a small child being sucked in nothing more....

fit a depth gauge on your ski..

I have only seen the r&d and the riva they looked the same to me but riva is painted black. The stock intake grate just suks it will get you hurt mine almost threw me and my boys off when i let off doing 50 on flat water didnt expect that on flat water Yamaha knows that the intake grates suk but kept making them the same.I would think that if you hit a sand bar with any grate you will suck rocks and sand up, in the lake my stock grate got cloged with weeds faster than my r&d does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    they all kinda look the same and do the same job and will only stop a small child being sucked in nothing more....

fit a depth gauge on your ski..
    Thank's Paul! A depth gauge might be OK for fishing boats, but it's not easy to watch at 40mph in a 5 foot swell, especially with the aforementioned small children frollicking in the surf near the edge! Blackpool's a pain for beaches that aren't flat and are full of rocks, so maybe I'll have to stick to the stock grate, even though I agree it's [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information