Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1999 GP800X Porpusing Issues

I just bought a 1999 GP800X and took it out this weekend to find that it has some major porpusing issues. I have done some research and want to check with anyone that has done this before to make sure I am doing the right things to help so I don't screw something up. So here is what I have gathered that I need to do:

1. Put 1/2 inch of washers on the bolts in the rear of my ride plate.
    2. Buy Trim Tabs
    3. Adjust my sponsons so that the rear of the sponson is lower than the front.

If I do these three things will that help? Any other cheap suggestions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by neowind View Post
    I just bought a 1999 GP800X and took it out this weekend to find that it has some major porpusing issues. I have done some research and want to check with anyone that has done this before to make sure I am doing the right things to help so I don't screw something up. So here is what I have gathered that I need to do:

1. Put 1/2 inch of washers on the bolts in the rear of my ride plate.
    2. Buy Trim Tabs
    3. Adjust my sponsons so that the rear of the sponson is lower than the front.

If I do these three things will that help? Any other cheap suggestions?

Good luck with that set up let me know how it works out

+1
    If its a stock motor 800 set it up to run flat if you put washers under the rear you will force the nose down to much if you put the washers under the front you will porpouse to much.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    If its a stock motor 800 set it up to run flat if you put washers under the rear you will force the nose down to much if you put the washers under the front you will porpouse to much.
    Without buying a new ride plate or intake what can I do?

+1
    Stock long plate is ok and the stock intake grate is ok look under the ski and use a straight edge to see the angle of the plate relative to the hull.
    Plate should be up higher than the grate and paralel to the hull or flat.
    Then all your thrust is moving you forward not pushing the nose down or lifting it up.
    Try your sponsons all the way down and all the way up to see what you like probably you will like them down.
    I still have a stock grate and plate on my 1997 GP1200 with beach house sponsons (flat ride ) and it works great.
    I do have some shim under the front ride plate bolts for a little more speed though.

I will give it a look and find out tonight. I have adjustable Sponsons on the ski are those factory or aftermarket? Did the 1999 ski's come with adjustable sponsons? The ski rides flat until you hit 35mph then it just starts bouncing. I will try to take some pictures tonight of the underneath to see if anyone has changed anything.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by neowind View Post
    I will give it a look and find out tonight. I have adjustable Sponsons on the ski are those factory or aftermarket?

factory

Did the 1999 ski's come with adjustable sponsons?

yes

The ski rides flat until you hit 35mph then it just starts bouncing.

starts at 35 mph and stops at ? mph

I will try to take some pictures tonight of the underneath to see if anyone has changed anything.

pics are good what kind of riding conditions do you have mostly flat or choppy water.

the 99 came with a short plate, look on ebay for a 97 gp1200 plate they can be picked up for under 20 bucks. That will help with the bouncy bouncy or save up for an R&D

Im looking to buy a inexpensive spare ski for my girl, how does the 1998-99 power valve gp800 handle the chop, turns and speed compaired to the newer gp800r, xlt800, or even the honda non turbo

Ok i went home and checked and my sponsons were adjusted all the way up. So I adjusted them down quite a bit. I have a picture below do you think they are adjusted down enough? I have posted a picture of my intake and ride plate also, and I see no shimming or washers anywhere. Do i need to add some? Now that I have some pictures up any suggestions on adjustments?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information