Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2 2002 Polaris Genesis I Projects for a newbie

Hi, New to the forum. Found it through PWCToday. I just wanted to introduce my self and my 2 projects. I just picked up 2 Polaris Genesis I pwc projects. One is complete but had low compression the second has half a motor missing but otherwise looks good.

I took the heads off the first and the middle piston has major damage on it. There was also low compression in the other 2. The cylinder sleeves look surpsingly good so I ordered a .5mm overbore piston kit for all 3 cylinders and should have the cylinders honed in a few days. It was surprisingly hard to find a complete top end gasket kit. Looks like the 1200 motor does not get too much love. Lots of stuff for the 750 and 1050 though.

The second jetski is more or less on standby for now. Worst case it will become a spare parts bucket. Best case I find a complete ski with hull damage.

+1
    Hello and WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    Great boats those Geni's and it's great to see so many of them getting revived.
    The parts are no issue, maybe take a look at our vendors list or just post up a "wanted" add.
    How about some picts of your new rides??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

We love projects, and photos of project skis

Click below for the manuals, and other good info.

Do you know if the engines were running properly before the mechanical failures happened?

These fuel injected Ficht engines depend on the EMM for properly engine operation. If the EMM fails, it usually does not cause engine damage, just poor running, or no starting.

While you have it apart, have a look here, and do the updates.

Also check the fuel and oil hoses for age, or just replace them.

Some of the maintenance items from the carburetor engines also apply;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Thanks Guys.

I will have pictures soon! They are safely tucked away in a garage for now. I have no history. The previous owner just wanted them both gone and said they have been sitting for a few years. The complete ski turns over great, gauges work, just low compression. Hopefully by Sat I will have the motor together and have an idea if there are other problems.

For now sitting on the forum trying to absorb as much info as possible. I bought these completely by accident, I was not thinking about Polaris. Now that I have them I'm surprised that I did not look at Polaris in the past. They look really nice and well though out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by leavundst View Post
    ..I have no history. The previous owner just wanted them both gone and said they have been sitting for a few years...
    Check everything, do not assume anything is as it should be.

Especially make sure the crank roller bearings have zero rust. At 6000+RPM, even a little surface rust will cause the roller bearings to grenade in short order.

Do not use old gasoline, and only use a good quality battery. Weak batteries cause many headaches.

Make sure there is no water in either the fuel or oil tanks.
    Last edited by K447; 08-27-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Finally I'm ready for an update. Here is pic of the chewed up piston:

Here are the re-honed cylinders:

New Pistons:

And I think I need this guy to torque the bottom of the cylinder sleeves down:

Also the ski is beyond dirty right now:

I had an extra set of cylinder's so I had those refinished. The motor is still in the hull. I'm going to pull it out today take off the top end and then check out what going on with everything in the lower end. Hopefully the crank will be ok. I'll update as I have more info. Should be a fun night.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Finally I'm ready for an update. Here is pic of the chewed up piston:

Here are the re-honed cylinders:

New Pistons:

And I think I need this guy to torque the bottom of the cylinder sleeves down:

Also the ski is beyond dirty right now:

I had an extra set of cylinder's so I had those refinished. The motor is still in the hull. I'm going to pull it out today take off the top end and then check out what going on with everything in the lower end. Hopefully the crank will be ok. I'll update as I have more info. Should be a fun night.
    Be careful using that offset extension wrench with a torque wrench. If you torque to specs,your #'s will be way too high.

Your adding a multipier to it.I'm sure there's a way to figure what it will add,but I'm not going to the Machinery Handbook and hurting my brain with formulas.
    Welcome and good luck with the project. You found the right place for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Be careful using that offset extension wrench with a torque wrench. If you torque to specs,your #'s will be way too high.

Your adding a multipier to it.I'm sure there's a way to figure what it will add,but I'm not going to the Machinery Handbook and hurting my brain with formulas.
    Welcome and good luck with the project. You found the right place for help.
    Thanks. The wrench came with a conversion table.

Found the first problem. The thermostat is totally shot.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks. The wrench came with a conversion table.

Found the first problem. The thermostat is totally shot.

Good Deal,What brand is it and were did you get it? Opps, blew up picture and seen it's a Motion Pro.

Learned a valuable lessons last night. Never trust anyone. I had the cylinders bored .5 over at a really reputable shop. Put everything together and the ski starts but runs like crap. Checked compression and it's 80-120-120. Figured maybe the head gasket was bad or injectors not in right. Double triple checked everything. Finally for laughs checked the clearance between the cylinder wall and piston and it's huge! Max clearance is .5mm per the service manual. I easily have .75mm in the 80 psi cylinder. The worst thing is they seamed a little loose when I installed everything but I was so sure everything was right I ignored it thinking it was normal for this engine.

What a pain. Now I need to take everything back apart, buy new gaskets, new pistons and all I had to do was check the clearance when I just got them back.

On the plus side the jetski is super easy to service. Props to the engineers who made this thing. The motor comes out really easy and is a pleasure to tear appart.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information