Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: broken bolt

+1

broken bolt

i was puting my reeds back in. while doing so i broke the head of a bolt inside the threads. it is the middle port and the allen headed bolt al the way to the right. i tried screw extractors and nothing would get it out. since there is another allen key for the first port about 1/3" to the left would it be ok to not have this bolt? or could i put some sealant around it? thanks

+1
    One thing you don't want is a air leak around your intake... surefire route to a lean condition and a blown motor. Take the time to get it fixed right now, or do it later along with a new piston, cylinder, and possibly head too. Take it by a machine shop or good auto repair place and see if they can get it out while it's in the boat; if not, you will have to pull the motor.

Sorry, we have all been there and feel your pain.

+1
    what i do is take my tig welder and weld a tit on the broken screw using 308 stainless rod,when the tit is tall enough i place a 3/8 nut over the tit and weld the tit to the nut..i let it cool for about 4 min. then get a 9/16 wrench and unscrew the broken bolt.....very difficult with motor in the hull....i do this all the time and it works...you may have to loosen motor mounts and roll motor over on side in hull.....try not to ever use stainless bolts on aluminum ,if you do ,use pst or anti seeze......sorry you got so screwed up but crap do happen.

+1
    oh hell, alright i think im going to mess with it some more then if i cant gegt it take the motor mounts out and spin it to the side and try the welding trick. its the stock bolt, what kinda metal is that?

just wondering: could i drill it out a little bigger then re tap it with a slightly larger bolt?

+1
    if you drill it out be very very carefull ,use a very small bit as a pilot hole..the smaller the bit for your first drilling the more accurate the hole will be...IF you can drill the bolt on center and straight ,then you can put in a helicoil...here is another tip..if you use a hand drill use a bit one size smaller than recommended cause your hand will shake a little....if the bolt your drilling is stainless steel,good luck your gonna need it, use a cobalt bit only and dont let it spin at high rpms,the metal will work harden and nothing will go thru it,except maybe a plasma torch...lots of cuttin/tapping lube press hard and turn the drill at slow speed....i work at a rod/race fab shop on the side and i have gone thru your hell at least once a week for 10 years now..lol..thats why i try not to use ss bolts on aluminum,i put anti seeze or pst on ss bolts going into aluminum.
    Last edited by txgp1300r; 08-02-2006 at 02:15 PM.

+1
    so drilling it out slightly larger will work?

+1
    this thing just got alot worse. i dont have the money to replace anything big that i might screw up so i let my dad do it. he got a little carried away with drilling and missed the bolt. here is a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00145.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	6498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00144.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	6499  

+1
    im guessing i have 2 options, new case/bottom of motor. or drill it out bigger. and re tap

+1
    helicoil!

+1
    where do they sell that? carl put that in one of my intake grate bolts. do you drill it out larger then put the helicoil in it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information