Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help Please--Replacing coupler Pro 1200

Update--Got a coupler from TxPro1200(thanks!) I'm trying the rope trick, I have 4 foot of rope, but I can't get it to stop the piston. I insert rope when I fill some compression, then when I can't get anymore rope in (about the full 4 foot) and turn it it just keeps wanting to turn. Ack!! Any ideas?

Hi all. I first posted about this problem on this thread http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...highlight=iraq

Needless to say when I got back from Iraq I didn't have the time off I thought I would. I took the pro to a polaris mechanic and they said the driveshaft and coupler are bad (as some of you all mentioned). They ordered the parts but called and said they couldn't get the old coupler off so I had to pick it up.

So I'm going to attempt replacing the coupler/shaft. I downloaded the manuals but I do have a few questions. The coupler they ordered looks nothing like the one on it, he said polaris upgraded it. There is also a cord in my center cylinder and I have NO idea why they put it there. I'm not the most mechanical guy out there so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've attached pics of what it looks like in there and of the new coupler. Thanks everyone! Everyday I'm not in the water my fun coefficiant goes down by 5! Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	142411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	142412   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	142413  
    Last edited by jasn111; 08-01-2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Update

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the mechanic wasn't doing things quite correctly.

Putting the rope in the center cylinder means the crank shaft may have been twisted out of index by the mechanic torquing on the coupler.

Check the crank index, using the method outlined in the service manual. You just want to confirm that all three cylinders are still operating 120 degrees apart from each other.

The rope trick is used to lock the cylinder closest to the PTO coupler, while you apply a large wrench to the coupler.

How to loosen PTO coupler using rope inside the cylinder (works for flywheels too)

The rubber bonded coupler will work on your engine. It is designed to reduce vibration.

The rubber bonded coupler requires a larger diameter coupler cover, which is imporant for preventing bilge water from being slung by the spinning coupler up into the engine air intake.

You can still buy replacement solid couplers, like your original coupler.

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the service manual to try to do it right. Would you suggest getting the same coupler that I had or just using the larger one? As a visual me working on these things looks like a monkey and a football if you get my drift!

Thanks, Jason

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Hey Jason, I have an extra larger cover to fit your new coupler if you want to go that route.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

bonded coupler

you need to check the length on the bonded coupler,if i remember right it won't fit between the motor and the seal carrier,its too long.the rope goes in the pto cylinder.hows about a pick of the old driveshaft and the coupler end of it.

TX, I'll measure it tonight. I don't have the old driveshaft, when I picked it up on Sat the mechanic wasn't there and no one knew where it was. When I get the old coupler out I will try to get a pic of the inside. If I have to order another coupler I guess I need to hurry up and do it. I'm just hoping I can get the old one out. Thanks, Jason

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    You can get it off. Do the rope trick on the rear cylinder. Use heat on the coupler (not too hot-may damage rear seal) and turn ccw (looking towards the front) with a GRANDE pipe wrench. Use a cheater bar if needed.

RizzO
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasn111 View Post
    TX, I'll measure it tonight. I don't have the old driveshaft, when I picked it up on Sat the mechanic wasn't there and no one knew where it was. When I get the old coupler out I will try to get a pic of the inside. If I have to order another coupler I guess I need to hurry up and do it. I'm just hoping I can get the old one out. Thanks, Jason
    It sounds like your mechanic is clueless...The rope is in the wrong cylinder, lost your old drive shaft and so on. I have learned that you can do it yourself, just ask ALL questions here(greenhulk). The great people that lerk around here in the Polaris section REALLY know their stuff! Ask your questions and you will get the proper answer. Good Luck, You CAN do it, and then you will be proud of yourself too.

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    you need to check the length on the bonded coupler,if i remember right it won't fit between the motor and the seal carrier,its too long.the rope goes in the pto cylinder.hows about a pick of the old driveshaft and the coupler end of it.
    TxPro, I checked the size. As you can see the bonded one is a little longer. Will it fit or should I order a new one? Thanks.

Also thanks to everyone helping, I'll try to keep it posted and let you all know how it is going. Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	142642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0569.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	142643  

+1
    that coupler will work fine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information