Thread: Starter Removal

Starter Removal

Need some advice on a Sea Doo 2003 4-tek, last season when starting it would make a clicking noise 4 or 5 times then startup. This season wont start at all. After determining that the battery was bad and replaced it I still had the clicking issue. At that point I decided to take it to the dealer and when dropped off the dealer said it was most likely the starter solenoid. Several days later they called and said the solenoid was in fact bad but also the starter. Total repair around $1,300.00. I then told them to not move forward with the repairs and have since picked up the ski. I did buy the Starter solenoid from the dealer however I am considering replacing the starter my self. My question is does the motor need to come out of the ski to get at the starter? I have done this type of work before on larger motors just not to familiar with this one.

V-Tec, 4-Tech that's how I roll meirvin's Avatar
    +1
    you might be able to get at it with just the exhaust manifold removed I would try that first.

so remove the j pipe and then the 12 bolts to the manifold it can be done with a small 1/4 drive and correct socket with small extension and see if you can reach it.

+1
    Just remove the exhaust manifold. The starter is right under it.

+1
    Oh! 1300.00 for what? You can buy a new starter on Ebay with a warranty for about 100.00.

You don't need to pull the manifold off to get the starter out. It's croweded and blind, but you can do it. I did it last week. Take the battery out and take off the starter relay to give yourself some room to work. You can reach under the manifold and feel the starter...it's round. Find the flange on the back of the starter housing and find the 2 torx screws. Make sure you use an E8 torx, take out the 2 screws and pull the starter toward the front of the hull.

Good luck.

Also, once you get the starter out, can disassemble it and check the condition of the internal components. It may just need cleaning and/or the brushes replaced. A replacement brush kit is ~$30...vs $150 for a new (non-OEM) starter. For the procedure details, take a look at the shop manual.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stop23 View Post
    You don't need to pull the manifold off to get the starter out. It's croweded and blind, but you can do it. I did it last week. Take the battery out and take off the starter relay to give yourself some room to work. You can reach under the manifold and feel the starter...it's round. Find the flange on the back of the starter housing and find the 2 torx screws. Make sure you use an E8 torx, take out the 2 screws and pull the starter toward the front of the hull.

Good luck.
    +1. I did it in 30 degree weather while snowing. You can do it without removing anything Take the starter wire off and the two bolts that hold that sucker in (10mm and E-8 torx).

Thread Information