Thread: Almost there!

Smile Almost there!

Well, I've taken my 95 sl750 a long way. From sitting in the garage after many years of hit and miss trips to the lake ( alot of misses) to new fuel lines, triple pump, rebuilt carbs, new head gasket, trim repair, & mfd repair. All of this due to the helpful info on this site. Thanks. After taking it to the lake for a couple of test runs, one last issue remains. Full throttle from a dead stop will kill the ski. Starts right back up & if you ease into the throttle it runs fine. Other than this, ski runs as good as ever. Tops out just over 52 mph & rpm's are around 6100 at top speed. Idles around 1200-1400 rpms. Plugs are a chocolate brown, good compression. Any ideas? It's not something I can't live with (especially considering where the ski was) but I would feel better if I could solve this last hurdle.

+1
    if you nail it from idle and it stalls, pull the plugs. Do not restart. What do the plugs look like

Dry or wet

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    I have the same problem...apparently it is lean on the lows. Try opening up the low speed screws and see if it helps.

Finally got back out on the water to test ski. First off, it took a unusually long time to start. After it finally started it died repeatedly & had to be choked each time to start. Once I got it going, it ran just as before. Full throttle from a dead stop & it dies, but starts right back up. I checked the plugs after a stall & after a long WOT run & both times they were bone dry. The only issues I can think of are: no hiss from gas cap & I didn't pull the fuel pickup assy out of tank to check it (one piece design, no hoses). Would a lack of pressure in the tank reduce fuel delivery? Or is it more likely an obstruction in the tank? I've replaced or checked every other part of the fuel system. I sure don't want to burn a piston. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by hyoctane23 View Post
    I have the same problem...apparently it is lean on the lows. Try opening up the low speed screws and see if it helps.
    Lean Lean Lows... ^^^^^^^

As octane says, open the low Speed Jets. Small increments, 1/8 turns to start out. Do some dead stop throttle stomps, keep doing small increment 1/8 - 1/4 turns out (counterclockwise) until it does NOT fall flat on its face when you hop on it from still... Once it takes off strong then continue plug checks and piston wash if you can.

Feel free to post pics of tops of pistons, heads off, after running it for a bit like this, that will also help to see where you are at.

Good luck, and don't burn anything up.

Thanks, I'll try to adjust the low speed screws. I just set them to factory specs when I rebuilt the carbs.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    What year and model do you have?

What were the jetting specs you used?

Make sure the fuel hoses are clamped good.

And have you checked the petcock for semi-obstruction? The rubber seal inside swells over time and will start to restrict fuel flow.

Have you checked fuel pressure?

It's a 95 sl750 and I just cleaned & reused the original jets. Petcock was replaced about 2 yrs. ago, but I checked it out. I haven't checked the fuel pressure, but I guess I'll tune the carbs first & see what happens.

Thread Information