1993 750 Head Gasket

I found an obviously blown head gasket on a 1993 750. (One of these cylinder heads is not like the others...) Anyway, should I replace all three as long as I am looking for a replacement?

I plan to check the flatness of the cylinder head with a (flat) glass plate and feeler gages. Has anyone ever trued on of those without complicated machinery? Some sort of a block and abrasive?

No opinions, huh? I found a single on Ebay for reasonable $$$ and have it on order. The fix is so easy, I think I will leave the other two as-are. See how they run. The prior owner said he had good compression on two cylinders, not the third.

Got some spark plugs on the way, too.

There appears to be a locator notch on the gasket and an "up" marking so I get it right. ???????. Correct?

+1
    That's correct, you should be able to read the "up" looking down on the top of the cylinders. Torque on those head bolts should be 18 foot lbs I believe

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    93 750 used lower compression heads vs. 94 & 95, that's why you have an odd one installed.

Make sure the "sharks fin" tab is situated below the cooling rail when installing the gasket.

Check out the on-line manual for doing any repair work.

I think all the heads are identical and original. ???. One looked different because it looked to me as though it had either run hot or had been exposed to something different, exhaust gas or water. The paint was largely gone and it looked like a leaker. That was a no-brainer to me that there was the problem. I half expected to fine the bore all screwed up. Nope. The gasket failure was easy to see once I pulled it off.

I hope to fire her up later in the week. USPS willing.

This is my first PWC. In fact, I have only driven one once. I doubt this thing has enough displacement to float my big @ss. Maybe a submarine? The kids, however, will fly on this thing. Free is free, I dig it.

By "shark fin", do you mean the part that extends beyond the diameter of the rest of the gasket?

That is a neat engine, almost like a Lawn Boy on steriods! I like tearing into new things.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko_nc View Post
    By "shark fin", do you mean the part that extends beyond the diameter of the rest of the gasket?
    Yes

Thread Information