Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Serious bow hunting on a gtx

Has anyone else noticed their 07/08/09 GTX bow hunt on flat water while on plane? Riding our 08 155 i find that if there is a little chop it tracks fine but in the flat calm it really feels unsettled. The bow hunting gets worse with more riders on-board. This ski only has 5 hrs on it, my experience is mostly on 2 seaters in the past (X4, XPL, RX) and i never had this problem in the past.

I would think an RXT would do the same since its the same hull.

Are you referring to a bit of chine walk where the ski tips from side to side? Our RXP will do that at lower speeds on glass if one's weight is pretty far back.
    Our GTX 155 is the most predictable, easiest to ride ski we have had in a while... could be your opas is acting out. I've seen a GTi with a loose fin that would wander a bit.

my guess would be OPAS as well. My T-X tends to wiggle from time to time with no discernible reason.

Oddly enough when I read the topic of this thread I was wondering how you'd manage to get your deer home on the back of a ski, but I see that that's totally not what's going on here.

+1
    Lower your sponsons a bit.

Buy aftermarket,or do it yourself .

I have a rxt-x myself,never noticed it.

I have the paddles of the opas system up,with the riva opas competition kit.

Very cheap works great!

+1
    mine does that as well but only if we are 2 riders on it. One way to correct that situation is to go a bit faster, from 32 mph + it does not do it anymore.

Get the Riva sponsons and drop them down. Also get rid of the training wheels.

all good advice.

Thanks everyone, i was thinking along the same lines as all of you. It is either OPAS, sponsons or just the nature of the hull in glass. I do find that with a bit of chop it's fine so i only experience the bow wander/hunting (deer hunting on a ski, interesting concept...) on rare days. It is exactly like my buddies old Ultra 150 but while going slower so it's not as scary. It basically throws your center balance off when this happens but not enough to bail out.

Since this is the family use ski (new P-X or FZR will be the next unless BRP comes out with something amazing on Sept 2nd) i don't want to spend the cash on sponsons or OPAS block off, although if i rode it more i might.

I'll save the big mods for the performance machine.

I was thinking a new scoop grate might help for this hull wandering issue and its cheap to do, any thoughts on that?

I think you'd be better off to start by blocking up your OPAS with a couple pieces of pipe to see if that cures it.

i have a 2007 gtx limited that i had trouble with doing that on smooth water and it was the opas ---i installed the plastic spacers from riva and had no trouble since -- the main problem was seaweed and sand getting into the opas so they wouldn't raise in a plane --- later on i replaced the sponsons with worxs sponsons -- and now it tracks better in turns

I like the idea of preventing the OPAS fins from deploying with the RIVA competition kit. I think i will try and rig something up at first to make sure this is the issue, then buy the kit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information