Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Supercharger Clutch issues..

Hello,

Late last week, I lost my supercharger clutch in my 2003 GTX SC. It had about 77 hours on it.

Having not found a dealer who can fit me in by the time I leave for vacation next week, and having half a clue on how to use a wrench, I started tearing it apart myself. I hit a wall tonight, needing a torx box wrench that I don't have (you know which bolt I am talking about), which I will get tomorrow.

At this point, thought, I have a couple questions.

First, what is the latest scoop on the clutch repair kit? Is there an update? What part number should be used on this model (2003 GTX SC)? Does anyone on this board know of a place that this is stocked?

When removing the supercharger, is there anything to worry about, or just simply remove the three bolts and slide it out?

I've read this board (and others) in earnest, and believe I have the situation under control, but just wanted input from anyone who has done this.

I've read that the '03 GTX SC uses a different gear than that of the RXP's (16 teeth vs. 17 teeth, I believe). Has anyone tried changing this out? Dangerous?

Is this a good time to change out to a different supercharger impeller? At this time, I redline at about 7700 (remember, this is a '03 GTX SC, not a RXP/RXT SC IC).

Thanks to all.

I have the same ski and had the same problem. There is a repair kit available from Seadoo that is the ceramic type.It also comes with three spacers that go between the s/c and the engine to space it out as the ceramic clutch pack is thicker than the old steel type you have. Not that hard to install but you do a special wrench to disassemble the clutch pack and put it back together.You will need to remove your L.H. water box also. You can fit RXP gears but you have to install both the s/c gear and the large drive gear thats bolted to the crank and then you`ll run into tuning issues and pump/prop issues the list goes on. I`ve done it and with the benefit of hindsight my suggestion would be if you want to go faster buy an RXT. They`ve come along way in the last 2 years !!!

+1
    Just use a 1/4" box end wrench on that top supercharger bolt. It will work fine.

You will also need a shaft holding tool and the service mounting plate would help. For the price you pay for both these tools you could get someone like PPG to rebuild your clutch and turn it around back to you overnight.

+1
    I have the latest OEM clutch repair kits available. SD Part #420881942.

Delivered to your door by Priority Mail in 2 days, $127 complete.

Richard

+1
    Richard, you should also stock the shaft holding tool and service mounting plate. You should be able to sell a set of tools with every clutch/Vortech SC impeller that you sell.

+1
    Jerry; Do you know the part numbers for those tools? Seems that in the past, ski maunfacturers want a fortune for some pretty basic tools. It was easier and a lot cheaper to improvise and find something that would do the job of the speciality tools.

Richard

Hey richard I had sent u an email / personal msg looking for your mailing addy so i can mail u a postal m/o for a couple wear rings .. did u ever get it? I never got a response and im still interested in some wear rings

OK, so I used a 1/4 box wrench, and got the torx bolts out. All three, that is.

Should the SC just slide out? I can't seem to convince it to come out.

Thoughts?

Camshaft locking tool (used to check clutch slip moment) 529 035 839
    torx adaptor wrench (for removing super charger from engine) 529 035 938
    SC Shaft retaining key (shaft holding tool) 529 035 949

4 pin socket 529 035 948
    Support Plate 529 035 947
    Ball Bearing Support/Pusher 529 035 950

Kuber Isoflex Grease (for gear, roller bearings, clutch discs, lock washer, etc. Basicly all mating surfaces) 293 550 021

BTW, Slip point range for stock clutch on 04 RXP is 7 N m - 12 N m (62 in lbs - 106 in lbs or 5.1 ft lbs - 8.8 ft lbs)

Quote Originally Posted by arubenstein
    OK, so I used a 1/4 box wrench, and got the torx bolts out. All three, that is.

Should the SC just slide out? I can't seem to convince it to come out.

Thoughts?
    Ignore me. I didn't try spinning/moving it laterally. Came right out. Looks like I did not lose the plates, it's just slipping -- so thats good.

Tomorrow, to call PPG and see if they can rebuild it fast. Crosses fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information