handlebar grip change on ultra 250x advice

The wife and I did not like the grips on our Ultra and I was going to change to a grip type that does not have the sharp ridges as does these OEM grips. I bought some new grips, cut an old one off and found there is a huge flange welded on the end. It looks like my only choices are to either cut the flange off so I can install the new progrips or go order another set of OEMs and live with it and wear gloves but don't really want the gloves. Has anyone cut the ends off? thanks, Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gripend.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	142596

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulldrawmike View Post
    The wife and I did not like the grips on our Ultra and I was going to change to a grip type that does not have the sharp ridges as does these OEM grips. I bought some new grips, cut an old one off and found there is a huge flange welded on the end. It looks like my only choices are to either cut the flange off so I can install the new progrips or go order another set of OEMs and live with it and wear gloves but don't really want the gloves. Has anyone cut the ends off? thanks, Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gripend.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	142596
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...73&postcount=2

how to replace stock grip over flange

BluUltra, thanks for the link. I called my local shop to see if I could get another stock grip and they said I could order just one. My question is how do I get a stock grip back over that flange and do I need to use any glue or possibly hair spray? Just a screwup on my part not knowing these bars had a flange! Any help with someone that has done this would help me not screwup another grip!

+1
    BluUltra, thanks for the link. I called my local shop to see if I could get another stock grip and they said I could order just one. My question is how do I get a stock grip back over that flange and do I need to use any glue or possibly hair spray? Just a screwup on my part not knowing these bars had a flange! Any help with someone that has done this would help me not screwup another grip!
    hmm Cant say I heard or read that someone tried to install OEM grips back on. Your best bet is to cut the flange and continue replacing the grips with some ODI's. I currently use the ODI X-treme grips.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1088

I replace the grips on both of my ski's with the ODI Rogue Grips. Had to cut the lip off the ends.
    Stock grips suck.

Quote Originally Posted by BluUltra250x View Post
    hmm Cant say I heard or read that someone tried to install OEM grips back on. Your best bet is to cut the flange and continue replacing the grips with some ODI's. I currently use the ODI X-treme grips.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1088
    +1

cut um off!

New Plans, any issues?

Thanks to all that gave advice, I ordered a set of ODI's called Ruffian like in the attached pic from a company called Blowsion.com. They are 130mm long, the guy I talked with said if I cut the bar ends off they should fit fine. Any of you guys see any issues? I have stock bars but is there any interference with the stock throttle? Thanks to all. MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	grips.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	142781

+1
    Thanks to all that gave advice, I ordered a set of ODI's called Ruffian like in the attached pic from a company called Blowsion.com. They are 130mm long, the guy I talked with said if I cut the bar ends off they should fit fine. Any of you guys see any issues? I have stock bars but is there any interference with the stock throttle? Thanks to all. MikeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	grips.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	142781
    You can use the stock throttle lever. Keep us posted on questions during install.

Thread Information