Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Bogging, misfiring, low rpm

I've read all the stickies and used the search button. This is how it started and a couple of things I have checked:
    I have GPRXP with stock motor just 4 inch intake and px intercooler. I have consistently seen 80+mph and 8150 (give or take) for weeks until about 2 weeks ago when the hose on top of my jpipe came off and I injested some water. The day that happened the ski would only get to about 6500 rpms and broke up (misfired)
    I changed the plugs and went out and the ski only got to about 6300 pms then seemed to clear up but only went up to 7800-7900 rpms tops and would not get over 78 mph.
    I have done the following:
    -changed spark plugs 3 times (each time I do the plug tips are white.. dont get it)
    - took out intercooler and soaked in salt away then gas then dried.
    - cleaned out throttle body.
    If I hold throttle steady in no wake zone at 2500ish rpms its seems to misfire and sputter then once I go WOT it breaks up before eventually clearing up but only reaching 7800-7900 rpms.
    Once in a while i get a 12v low code if that has anything to do with it..
    thanks

+1
    Check all of your battery connections and coil packs for damage/function if you haven't already. Did you remove the intake manifold after ingesting water? If not, there could easily be water left in it causing issues for your motor. And if you did remove the intake manifold you might want to re-check your throttle cable alignment. I'm having somewhat similar symtoms, but most likely due to a bad fuel injector. Let us know how it turns out and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

You will need to remove the intake manifold and see if you have water inside, you will also need to check for water contamination on the motor oil. Disconnect al the wire harness connection and blow it out with the air hose and add some corroption fluid/grease.

+1
    I saw maybe a capfull of water in the intake manifold but would have figured it would have been gone by now. I ran 1 full tank of gas, 3 sets of plugs, and 3 hours since it origianlly started acting up. I will have to take the manifold completely off. I didnt see any visual damage to coils or anything.
    This weekend I'm going to try cleaning all electrical connections and possibly installing the 42s I have sitting on my counter.
    I'm just not sure why every set of plugs I put in is white after I ride it. At first I thought it was from injesting salt water but every set following that has same color..

+1
    I thought maybe my head gasket was gone but I marked the coolant tank with a marker cold and it was the same after a 2 hour ride and cooldown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugs.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	142635  

Quote Originally Posted by gprjersey07 View Post
    I saw maybe a capfull of water in the intake manifold but would have figured it would have been gone by now. I ran 1 full tank of gas, 3 sets of plugs, and 3 hours since it origianlly started acting up. I will have to take the manifold completely off. I didnt see any visual damage to coils or anything.
    This weekend I'm going to try cleaning all electrical connections and possibly installing the 42s I have sitting on my counter.
    I'm just not sure why every set of plugs I put in is white after I ride it. At first I thought it was from injesting salt water but every set following that has same color..
    Water sits on the very bottom of the inatke manifold, the best way is to remove the intake manifold, you could also have some contaminated fuel with water.

+1
    Thanks I'm going to take the manifold off. I ran the tank to almost empty then refilled. I also have water finding paste (I work in the petroleum business) I am going to check the tank in. Maybe someone pissed in my tank

+1
    Pull the fuel rail and see how the injector spray pattern is. Next swap the coils with a known good set.

PS check for packing peanuts in the water box.

+1
    if my exhaust bell melted would it cause these symptoms and would water leak back into the motor?
    A good friend of mine suggested that may be the problem

Quote Originally Posted by gprjersey07 View Post
    if my exhaust bell melted would it cause these symptoms and would water leak back into the motor?
    A good friend of mine suggested that may be the problem
    Yes, if there is exhaust leak you could loose RPM but I do not think it will missfire but it could be possible.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information