SLT750 Extended Pump Install - Are My Bolts Too Long??

Hey guys....

Just spent the last few hours installing an extended pump on my SLT750.

I'm 99% done. Just re-assembling the pump and I'm having a problem.

The longer bolts I got from Zig are bottoming out in the holes before the assembly is fully seated.

The components I'm using are as follows, listed from front to back:

1) The original "base" (the part attached to the ski with the threaded holes in it - I think this was the wear ring before the extension was installed).
    2) Next, I have a 4" extension which I think is now the new wear ring (used part from another ski)
    3) The pump assembly is next (using my original pump).
    4) I have a wedge, with the big section on the bottom (used part from the other ski).
    5) Finally, I have the nozzle/reverse bucket assembly (used part from another ski, even though I didn't have to)
    6) I think it goes without saying, but I also have a longer driveshaft, a longer cooling tube, longer siphon pump hoses, and I extended the reverse and steering cables.

The new bolts from Zig are exactly 5" longer than the old bolts. The pump extension is 4", and the wedge is 1/4" on top, and 3/4" on the bottom. So, it seems like my bolts should be 4.75" longer than the old bolts (on bottom) and 4.25" longer than the old bolts (on top) to retain the same thread engagement as I had before.

Should I cut 3/4" off all my bolts, or am I missing something??? I hate to do this, but I don't know what else I can do.

Any advice????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you clear out the bolt holes with a thread tap?

Sometimes the bolts aren't actually bottoming, they are just running into the crud that is down deep in the holes.

I usually run a thread tap in as far as I can before re-assembly the pump. Then I insert the nozzle wand from a can of compressed gas down to the bottom of the hole, and blow the junk out the hole (wear safety glasses for this ).
    That way, all the old thread locker is cleared out.

I also clean off the bolt threads with a thread die.

+1
    Yes you can cut them I have had to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Did you clear out the bolt holes with a thread tap?

Sometimes the bolts aren't actually bottoming, they are just running into the crud that is down deep in the holes.

I usually run a thread tap in as far as I can before re-assembly the pump. Then I insert the nozzle wand from a can of compressed gas down to the bottom of the hole, and blow the junk out the hole (wear safety glasses for this ).
    That way, all the old thread locker is cleared out.

I also clean off the bolt threads with a thread die.
    Didn't run a tap in there, but I can. But, I'm 99% sure it's not crap in there...it DEFINITELY feels like it hit bottom. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Yes you can cut them I have had to do the same.
    Does 3/4" sound about right BD....I realize it was probably a long time ago. Just curious if you recall what you cut off.

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the help, as always!

Got it. Cut the uppers down 3/4" and the lowers down 1/4". Marked them "T" and "B" for top and bottom. I guess it's "custom" now, huh?

Maybe I'll add that to the new graphics package.....SLT750 Custom. Ha!

+1
    I ran into this problem on my 96 SL700.For some reason the extended bolts were longer. I carefully drilled and tapped the holes in the base.

Wow....you're brave! I thought about doing that, but was afraid I would damage the existing threads while trying to make the holes deeper.

I took measurements between my Virage and my SLT and all the parts looked identical. The bolts even looked the same length.

The only thing I could figure was that Polaris drilled/tapped the holes deeper in the bases they knew were getting extended pumps.

Drilling/tapping certainly would have been my preferred solution, but I didn't have a bottom tap and just didn't have the guts to do it. I figured the factory thread engagement was enough so I cut the bolts down. So far, so good.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2much2do View Post
    The only thing I could figure was that Polaris drilled/tapped the holes deeper in the bases they knew were getting extended pumps.
    Correct. I think they added a few more threads to accommodate the longer leverage of the extended pump.

Thread Information