Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Salvaging my 96 Raider 700

Sucked under a 40' boat by its tow rope in '03, chopped up and sunk. Got it running and it ran again for a few months, then stranded me and has sat in my slip until about a 2 months ago (a little over 4 years I think). Got it running again and now the fun begins. My first project!

Going to be repairing fiberglass and repainting while I wait for parts and tools.

Impeller is toast, but thanks to Lee Carlson for the replacement.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0033.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	142650
    Going to stop here and see if any of these pics are showing up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0012.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	142646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	142647  

OK - I get the pic insert thing now. In case you're interested, a quick bandaid for above the waterline fiberglass damage is adhesive contact paper over fiberglass tape.

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	142651

Sanding started

If anyone has any experience dealing with little blisters on the hull or can point me to a discussion about it here, I'd love to know before I start painting.

Name:	DSC_0023.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	142654

Going to change all the hoses and wiring as needed. Researching whether I can use any spark plug wires or if need to special order.

Name:	DSC_0024.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	142697
    If anyone sees anything in there that looks like trouble, feel free to say so.

Replaced the fuel filter and a new oil tank lid is in the mail - mine appears to be stripped. At any rate it leaks like a beotch from the lid and I can't get it tight enough. Got oil all in the bilge and it seems like it's hiding under the gas tank. Will see if a new lid takes care of it, otherwise will research another fix or mod.

Name:	DSC_0025.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	142699

Thanks to mrbtd's ingenuity ("Breaker bar under the tire there to hold the driveshaft. The pipe wrench has a 6 foot extension. Push down and it pops right off every time.) I was FINALLY able to get my impeller off. I was just about to give up and one last hop onto the pipe wrench and it broke loose. It then took over 2 hours to work it the rest of the way off the shaft, but I now have the new one on and only minor damage to the shaft.

Name:	DSC_0034.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	143897

Name:	DSC_0035.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	143898
    [ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0039.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	143901[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

I had originally planned to go with a black, gray and white scheme, but changed my mind and am going to do black, yellow and white. May change my mind again... Fiberglass repair tomorrow, painting thursday, should be in the water this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0036.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	143899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0037.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	143900  

+1
    Looking better!

Got the new prop in and rode yesterday for the first time. I've definitely lost RPMs, but I can't tell why. There does seem to be some cavitation - most apparent if I spin in a slow tight turn and gradually increase throttle from idle, vibrates and almost a mild shimmy (motor mounts?). It seems like it maxes out on RPMs at about 3/4 throttle, then just doesn't give me any more as I increase to full. There's a definite "ahh" or "wah" sound when taking off slowly from idle and you feel more than here that same sound when increasing throttle from 3/4 to full. Going to check the wear ring to see if the new impeller is touching, will change the plugs in case this is just fouling from all the chemicals and extra oil we put in there, but is there a way to tell if the shaft got damaged while removing the old impeller? Would a bend or gouge in the shaft cause RPM loss?

Will search the forum, then may have to post new thread.

There is SOME good news: oil and water leaks fixed; front bumper, nozzle and ride plate paints holding up well so far.

Not much to update, but still having problems. I cleaned the carb, replaced the impeller, and seems to be running fine - right up until 3/4 throttle then that's it, no more rpms. It was revving and running great with my old chewed up prop, broken gas cap, missing vent, crap all over the hull, taking on water. Now I just can't figure out what's wrong. I KNOW this engine is just fine. Taking it back out today if I can get away for a couple hours to see if running higher octane fuel and new plugs along with cutting a notch in the rear vents under the seat does anything for it. Now it's just personal...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Martimouse2 View Post
    Not much to update, but still having problems. I cleaned the carb, replaced the impeller, and seems to be running fine - right up until 3/4 throttle then that's it, no more rpms. It was revving and running great with my old chewed up prop, broken gas cap, missing vent, crap all over the hull, taking on water. Now I just can't figure out what's wrong. I KNOW this engine is just fine. Taking it back out today if I can get away for a couple hours to see if running higher octane fuel and new plugs along with cutting a notch in the rear vents under the seat does anything for it. Now it's just personal...
    I had the same issue, and after I had rebuilt / cleaned the carb, it worked a lot better. Check to see if the carb screws are set right. The specs for the 96-97 BU engine (the 700) are:
    • Low: 1 7/8 +- 1/4
    • High: 1 5/8 +- 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by TempoGT View Post
    I had the same issue, and after I had rebuilt / cleaned the carb, it worked a lot better. Check to see if the carb screws are set right. The specs for the 96-97 BU engine (the 700) are:
    • Low: 1 7/8 +- 1/4
    • High: 1 5/8 +- 1/4
    I cleaned it, but didn't change or check anything - will do. Rebuilding was my next step after this weekend (didn't get to run it today) when I'll try the higher octane and new plugs, etc. Thanks for the input - I'm nervous about tackling the carb, but I know it needs it even if it's not what's causing the RPMs to drop.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information