There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar

For those interested in WSM Piston Kits

I am in the process of rebuilding my rec ski and... being short on funds decided to go the WSM route. I ordered the WSM Platinum top end kit from a place called jetski warehouse and it arrived at my door in about 5 days for $320 shipped... Not a bad price for a kit that included 3 pistons, rings, c-clips, gaskets from cylinder base to head cover...including all carb gaskets, PV cover gaskets, exhaust manifold to PTO gasket, wrist pins and bearings.

The first pic is of everything in the kit.

First off you can notice the difference between a Prox cast and a WSM cast piston.. The WSM pistons are not as clean cast as Prox, but that is only on the piston top and under the piston. The sides and ring seats of the piston are very well made and they look like they were finished. The coating on the piston is also laid on well. (See Pic 2 of piston) The edges and chamfered as well as oil holes and wrist bearing holes. I noticed that the oil holes are slightly larger than OEM and Prox. They are almost identical in weight.

My biggest concern.. Pic 3... A piece of paper stated that thrust washers are not needed.. I am nervous about not installing the pistons without washers.. Any ideas about just putting them in anyway? I don't have the original washers so I will have to order them if I do..

Pic 4 is of the rings.. 1 side is polished a little bit. The polished side of the ring is marked with the letter "R" and the rings seemed to install easier with this polished side up. Notice the nice fit when installed on teh piston (Pic 5)

Finally, here is a pic (pic 6) of the bearing and wrist pin. Both items are nice an beefy, not cheap replacements (like the ones I got from another vendor) Very close to OEM.

I have other pics and can take more if people are interested.. The build dosen't happen until this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01364.JPG 
Views:	528 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	142677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01367.JPG 
Views:	774 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	142678   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01373.JPG 
Views:	557 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	142679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01384.JPG 
Views:	403 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	142680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01388.JPG 
Views:	563 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	142681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01389.JPG 
Views:	349 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	142682  

I like how the pistons aren't polished on the sides, looks like they may be tougher. How about a link to the website?

Strange, my WSM Platinums have a machined finish on the domes...Just got them too. As for the pin bearing shims...what is the width of the WSM bearing compared to the OEM Yamaha bearing? I'm betting its wider. Any markings on piston rings always indicate the top side...so the side marked "R" should face up. They are keystone rings, and will be damaged if they are run upside down.

+1
    Many folks don't run the thrust washers... My R&D pistons require no thrust washers..."forged" vs the cast. I don't belive it matters much without running them. I've heard guys for 10 years not running the washers with no issues.

M

+1
    Hammond, IN....your close to us...small world. And as stated, the lettering always faces on up on the rings.

M

This issue without running them is excessive clearance between the bearing and piston. Too much, and the bearing will have too much free play. If you're not going to run the thrust washers, make sure the bearing is wider, or the piston's pin boss is narrower.

There is no VooDoo like BadVooDoo NeVerMind's Avatar
    Thanks for all the advice.. The spacing is wider than the bearing so I'll go without.

The non polished sides are the Platinum coating to prevent seizures on start up.

I thought the non polished domes was weird too.

And JetSki Warehouse can be found here

Thread Information