Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

help - I have a Seadoo $10,000 flower pot

I have a 2008 Seadoo RXP-X 255 with 8hrs on it. Apparently I have run into the "hull delamination" issue as over half my hull had the gelcoat stripped off by the force of the water.

No, I did not hit anything to the best of my knowledge and no Seadoo won't back their warrenty to fix it. Presumably because they saw the skid marks from where I run my Seadoo up onto the HydroPort and are claiming these skid marks are from abuse.

But thats not why I'm posting. I've since moved beyond the stages of being extremely mad and am now I'm trying to cobble together a plan for how to fix.

I have a few questions:

a) If I find someone who has another hull for sale, can it be any RXP model year? If not, which ones would serve as a replacement?

b) If I decide to repair the existing hull (which apparently is in great shape just missing the smooth gelcoat layer) has anyone done this successfully? Would you recommend removing all of the gelcoat from the entire bottom of the ski and redoing it with a new layer of hard fiberglass matting?
    or just putting more gelcoat down to patch in the sheered off areas?

If anyone has done a successful repair and lives in the Atlanta or Southeast area please let me know.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is tremendously frustrating.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Sorry for your misfortune. Have you checked with other dealers? If it is hull delam it should be covered by the manufacture. Any pic??

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Sorry for your misfortune. Have you checked with other dealers? If it is hull delam it should be covered by the manufacture. Any pic??

Below are the photographs. The dealers have no control over this, this is a corporate Seadoo issue and they are saying it's my problem!

They are pointing to the areas where the paint has dulled and are saying that is sign of the abuse it's undergone. The areas where the paint has dulled are areas where the ski contacts my drive-aboard Hydroport! I guess they'd rather me keep it sitting in the water than dry dock it on a Hydroport.

This ski didn't even make it to it's first scheduled oil change and this crap happens. I have always made every effort to stay in deep water and never beached this ski. I am 36 years old and while I do enjoy speed I never did anything stupid and don't race people.

Lets say I did hit something unknowingly for the sake of argument. I would not have expected a catastrophic failure like this! I was going about 60MPH in deep water when I heard a loud CRACK noise. The ski pulled hard to the right and threw me off. I went skipping across the water like a rock and seriously injured my rotator cuff in my shoulder.

After getting the ski back to the dock I put it up on my boat lift to inspect it. I thought maybe a stick or debris had gotten stuck in the impeller. Instead I see this (below). The "hard" part of the hull is actually in great shape and has zero damage. it's just this outer layer that has sheered off and changed the hydrodynamics. There are no leaks. Zero. I can't imagine that it would be a big deal to put a new "smooth" layer on the bottom but I don't know enough about this kind of stuff.

I'm not trying to create a "pissing match" here but my Yamaha SHO FX I KNOW FOR A FACT I hit a rock and it scraped about a 2inch gash in the bottom. The fiberglass is just "rough" in this area and it will be a quick fix to repair it.

Why couldn't the Seadoo fail in this manner if I did in fact hit something?

I will never buy another BRP product. Wasted money is one thing, but having the capability for this boat to fall apart in this manner at a high rate of speed is just certifyable negligent design.

+1
    F***.

+1
    Thats horrible that this happended. I thought Sea-Doo had this issue somewhat resolved from 2006>current models. I know it was very common on the 2004-2005, but geez, its apparent they did not change anything and the delamination circumstance is still present.

I so hope you and the Bombardier corporation can come to some resolution to fix this.

btw, welcome to the forum

+1
    claim it on your insurance and get a new ski.....

I'm in Rome, GA. and can fix it and can give a reference or two. I would need to look at it close to decide what would be the best way to fix it. PM me with your phone nmber if you want to discuss it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    F***.
    +1

+1
    Sorry to hear it. It's my only reason for never owning a SD. This should have been resolved in 2004.

+1
    PM a fellow named JAWZ on here, and talk to him about it. He's north of Atlanta.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information