+1

smoking ethanol vs non ethanol

ok here is the situation I built and broke in my ski in Illinois with 93oct with 10% ethanol it has shaved stock head 150PSI, D-plate and R&D power plenum. no problems with it after 20hrs or so what so ever. Over the 4th i took my ski to my summer home in central Wisconsin the gas station was out of 93 oct so i ran 89 i figured 1 tank wouldn’t hurt. i was wrong that thing started smoking like crazy with a heavy blue smoke and slight hesitation. i would be able to see a light trail of smoke all the way around the lake while at WOT. and i changed nothing at all to the ski the only thing that I changed was the GAS THATS IT “It reminded me of my old 95 SL750 when the carbs would load up after idling down a long channel” so i ran that tank out went to another gas station and got 93 with no ethanol and i figured that would clear it up nope same thing heavy smoke at idle slight hesitation and trail around the lake at WOT so I drained that tank. then i pulled the ski out found a station with 93 and 10% ethanol and took it to my buddies place 10 miles away from my lake and it ran perfect all day no smoke until i was idling back to the boat launch and once again heave blue smoke so my tank was like 1/2 full. I took it back to my place and disconnected the batt over night hoping to clear out the ECU. I reconnected the batt in the AM dropped it in never added any gas and it ran perfect for hours then at the end of the day it started smoking just as I was idling down the channel to put it on the trailer and I don’t mean a light smoke this was heavy I have been riding skis for the last 13 years and have never had a ski smoke like this. It is a 03 EFI running Yamalube 2W, has anyone else had a problem switching back and forth with gasses????

2 questions come to mind, 1, is it premix or injected, 2nd, if injected did u have throttle cable recall done? if so, and injected, check oil pump cable make sure it did not pop off and go into default, this will dump oil at slower speeds

What GP said.. Gas doesen't smoke oil does. check your oil throttle cable

+1
    1 its injected no premix, 2 I don’t know if it was done i just got it last October the cables looked fine to me when i had it apart. If the oil cable fell off why would it be ok "no smoke" early in the day then start smoking really bad later that day? Wouldn’t it smoke all the time? Well at least I think so

I`ve read that the oil pump defaults to wide open if the cable is off. Maybe your getting max oil at idle and even at wot it`s still a lot of oil...

and it could be collecting in the crank/case and making it smoke like a pig

+1
    yep your all right the oil cable fell off somehow durring transportation. the end of the cable was still connected with the bolt but the cable itself was out of its slot. thank you all for your help i'll post pics when i get to work

I just popped in to reply with a smartass comment...

I don't know about the smoking, I prefer to drink my ethanol

+1
    pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAGE_215.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	142815  

Thread Information