Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supercharger washer failure?What to clean

I am working on a ski that lost the ceramic washers . I want to do the job rite and need to know what all I need to take apart and clean. I know I will have to remove the stator cover and clean and I heard along time ago about a front oil pump ,but not sure about anymore hidden places that may need to be cleaned.

+1
    there is a screen in the pto cover under oil pick up and a screen in the front oil pick up... I don't know from experience with sc failure but since I have taken a 4 tech completely apart I would also be concerned if there is any debris in the oil valleys of the block. I am sure some pros with experience will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertoys View Post
    I am working on a ski that lost the ceramic washers . I want to do the job rite and need to know what all I need to take apart and clean. I know I will have to remove the stator cover and clean and I heard along time ago about a front oil pump ,but not sure about anymore hidden places that may need to be cleaned.
    Don't forget about the very bottom of the oil filter housing. Look for fragments of ceramics there too.

Also, without pulling the motor apart you run the risk of the remnants of a washer flying through the motor and doing more damage. You have to make a judgment call.

I just recently helped a buddy of mine who lost his '07 ceramics. He lifted off the throttle as soon as it happened. We removed the oil and pulled the front scavenging pump (located below the front of the intake manifold) and we cleaned out the oil filter housing. Then we changed the oil and filter.

We lucked out. We were able to piece together the entire broken ceramic washer which was largely in the front screen. There was also a small amount of debris in the actual folds of the oil filter and the rest of the washer at the bottom of the oil fitler housing.

After cleaning the above locations and adding fresh oil and filter, we did a compression check and crossed our fingers. Lucky us.

Good luck.
    Brendan

How big of a deal is it?

I am having RPM issues. The ski will only pull 6500RPM. Are the washers simply "slipping" or have they already disintegrated? Also, the dealership states the entire engine needs to be pulled to inspect and clean the oil screens, is this true? Thanks all!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andye View Post
    I am having RPM issues. The ski will only pull 6500RPM. Are the washers simply "slipping" or have they already disintegrated? Also, the dealership states the entire engine needs to be pulled to inspect and clean the oil screens, is this true? Thanks all!!!
    Are they ceramic washers? If so, I hate to say they are probably gone. And yes your dealer is correct. Sounds like you have a good dealer. Most will try to convince you that simply replacing the washers is all you need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by andye View Post
    If you left the ceramic washers in the ski and they failed, the engine does need to come out, and if a dealer fixes it figure on $2-k to $3-k.

It's strange that the BRP Service Manuals have never been updated to identify exactly what needs to be done when these washers fail... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    Are they ceramic washers? If so, I hate to say they are probably gone. And yes your dealer is correct. Sounds like you have a good dealer. Most will try to convince you that simply replacing the washers is all you need to do.
    It is a factory machine, so I would imagine. So to access the oil screens the engine needs to be pulled, or are you stating the engine needs to be pulled just to be "safe"?

They have to pull, inspect and repair the 2 oil pumps, split the block to check for debris in the lower end, and clean the oil passages. Most likely, you will at least need the 2 oil pumps replaced. Figure 33% parts and 66% labor... Ron

+1
    If you want to have peace of mind that your ski isn't going to grenade, you need to pull the engine and clean out both oil pumps and screens. Cleaning the rear pump requires removing the PTO cover. Technically, this can be done with the engine in the ski, but it is much easier to do with the engine out of the hull. The front "scavenge" pump can be cleaned with the engine in the ski. The oil galleries should be cleaned out as well which is also much easier with the engine out of the ski.

+1
    good chance of losing a cam chain or something worse if you do not get out all of the debris from a washer failure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information